CommCenter and WiFi Calling

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by AllergyDoc, Dec 3, 2015.

1. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Earlier today I went to the library to work, to get a change of scenery. Shortly after I sat down, I glanced at the SystemPal icon on the menu bar: it showed an operating temp of about 180 F. Then I glanced at the Activity Monitor icon on the Dock: it showed high CPU and Energy usage. Both apps said CommCenter was the culprit. Restarting the computer did not stop CommCenter from draining my battery.

After searching here and on the internet in general, all I could find were references to iPhones and iPod Touches. There is almost nothing about CommCenter on OS X. Thinking it might have something to do with WiFi Calling, here's what I did to stop CommCenter:
    1. I opened FaceTime and unchecked "Calls from iPhone."
    2. I rechecked the box but didn't click on Upgrade to Wi-Fi Calling.
    I like taking or making calls on my computer but since I always have my phone nearby, I don't really need to make Wi-Fi calls on my computer.

Battery drain fixed. Hope this helps someone else who runs into the same problem.

Our cell carrier, or Un-Carrier, is T-Mobile.

2. Rodan52 macrumors regular

Rodan52

Perhaps you should read this:
    https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18756?locale=en_US

3. AllergyDoc thread starter macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Thanks but I knew all that already. And it doesn't address the problem I was experiencing.

4. stainless macrumors newbie

stainless

Thanks! We also have T-Mobile so not sure if it's specific to the carrier (un) or not. It's kind of nice to be able to answer from the computer but unless Apple get CommCenter CPU usage under control WiFi calling is not option.

5. AllergyDoc thread starter macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

I'm on the MacOS beta and this issue is no longer a problem.

6. stainless macrumors newbie

stainless

Curious, are you on Sierra? I'm on the latest El Captain and still getting ComCenter going crazy (120% CPU) with WiFi calling. We can't upgrade to Sierra due to software, maybe it's worth looking into moving up now...

7. AllergyDoc thread starter macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Yes, I'm on Sierra.