Comment box? Using iWeb with no MobileMe

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by slipper, Jan 30, 2009.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

I have a website with a bunch of different articles and i would like to leave a comment box for each article... and i would like the viewer to be able to leave a comment without leaving the site. Is there any third party services available where i can embed into my iWeb page?

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

You should not need a third party service. The comment form can be a simple HTML form. The submit button would be a link to a cgi bin script on the server that simply appends the form content to a file. All you need is a web a server.

3. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Please note cgi-bin to most people means Perl. Most *nix boxes have Perl, but the language is not the first choice these days for stuff like this. So to clarify a bit, check to see if your server supports PHP, Cold Fusion or ASP and get back to us.

If not, then FormMail.com offers inexpensive remote form processing, one week free trial, and so does FormBreeze.com which offers a 30 day trial. All the free ones will spam you, include advertising and other problems.

-jim

4. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

I do know thee server supports PHP scripts since i have one on my site. Its GoDaddy.com if that helps.

SrWebDeveloper, thanks for the links. I will definitely look into formmail.com to replace the email links on my site. However this wasnt really what i was looking for. Sorry if i wasnt clear. I want a way for viewers to leave comments about a particular article... i guess sorta like the comment box on youtube videos.

Thanks

5. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

I've just set up a site today here and I've just added comments to the blog (have a look for yourself!). I went on http://js-kit.com/comments/haloscan.html and found the code to add to the site (<div class="js-kit-comments" permalink=""></div>
    <script src="http://js-kit.com/comments.js"></script>
    ). I then opened my blog page I created from iWeb, opened the .htm file for the relevant blog page using Text Wrangler and inserted the code just after the end of what I'd written. It seems to work! I may try iTweak and the tutorial to see if thats easier later, but my way seems to work!

EDIT: iTweak seems to do exactly the same thing, but is a bit more automated! I think I'll give it a proper go soon ...

6. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I'd like to know the same. I am also using iWeb. My server is asmallorange and they do support PHP though I see no mention of ASP or Fusion.

Will such a third party server support the functions of the blog section of my site, along with other features of iWeb that allow that user to interact and communicate via an iWeb site as hosted at mobileme?

7. Mohummad.ali macrumors newbie

Mohummad.ali

hi,
    for comments option in iWeb you either need MobileMe account or you need to follow this long LONG tutorial :p
    how to add comments option on a iWeb Blog without :apple: MobileMe

8. marian99us macrumors newbie