Comments about Speck Candyshell Grip

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Tikatika, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Tikatika, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

I ordered this from Best Buy.com yesterday and picked it up at the store today. I used this case exclusively on my Galaxy S4 and loved it.

This is a great case but comparing the old one and this new one, they've made the edges (lip) MUCH thicker and wider. So much so that they interfere when swiping across the screen. Quite annoying. I'm not sure I will keep it.

I had an iBlason Crystal Clear on it and it is a well made case but slippery. Back to the drawing board I guess.

2. andrewtm macrumors regular

Really that's good to know. I was just about to place an order on this case on Amazon as I had it for my 5 and loved it.

3. Tikatika thread starter macrumors 6502

Tikatika

Yeah, I've decided to return it. It was just too awkward to use. Very disappointed, but your experience may be different. In the meantime, I've gone back to the iBlason and put some girly jeweled stickons on the back which give it grip. #

4. andrewtm macrumors regular

I think I'll still go ahead and order mine. It just looks too good with the white phone to pass up :p

5. Samuelmorgan macrumors regular

Samuelmorgan

I used this case for a while on my 5s and after only a week, the "rib" like rubbery strips began pealing and rubbing down to the plastic. Definitely not worth the money.

6. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502

JonathanK81

I had a Candyshell Grip on my 5 for a year, that never happened. It did rub down a little, but never to the plastic. I don't know how you used it, but I used my phone every single day. Never wore the rubber down that badly.

7. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Ditto on the one I had for my 5S. But what I love about Speck is the warranty & customer service. They've replaced anything I've ever needed if it was defective or if something broke. I've only had to do this a few times in the many cases I've had over the years though.

That said, I did just get the black/gray grip last night and I really like it. It's still "thin" considering the kind of case on it. It definitely feels better in the hand than i expected, more secure.

I also see what the op is saying about the edges but I don't find it to be a problem. I think the issue is that due to the curved glass, the lip has to come over more in order to protect the glass fully. Anyway, it doesn't bother me and hasn't hindered my use at all but I can see how it could be annoying for some.

8. johnc22 macrumors 6502

I had this case for my iPhone 5 and really liked it a lot. The phone survived numerous drops and after almost 2 years it is still in decent shape (the shiny plastic shows wear marks but the grippy rubber strips are still mostly intact).

I'd like to see pictures of the issues with the iPhone 6 plus version.

9. wrecks, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014

wrecks macrumors member

I just purchased Speck - Candyshell Case for Apple® iPhone® 6 - Black/Gray from best buy and I am loving it. Coming from a belkin vue on iphone 5 and spigen hybrid for iphone 6, this is day and night over the spigen case. It fits like a glove, actually really tight and the buttons works. Also I have great faith it will protect phone when I drop it.

Also the lip almost covers the curved glass, so it will mask any glass/regular screen protector edges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. fouramphonecall macrumors member

Do you find that the thicker lip on the new Candyshell interferes with the side-swipe gestures? The rounded glass edges seem to add noticeable ease and fluidity to the swipes and covering them up seems like it might interfere.

11. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

Is the rubber lip going to deteriorate

On my old iPhone 4S I had 2 Speck CandyShell cases and the rubber edges basically rubbed off everytime I was pulling the phone out of my pocket.

Can anyone comment if it's improve and the rubber seems more resiliant?