Comments on my new Penryn MBP, vs my old Merom

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarkW19, Mar 10, 2008.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

Just received my CTO Penryn MBP today, and I'm replacing my Merom (2.2) with it, as I had a few build quality issues with the Merom, so it's being returned to Apple (I craftily managed to hang onto it for 6 weeks until the Penryn was released, as I needed it for work, by constantly postponing the courier collection!).

Anyway, some comparisons:-

-It doesn't get anywhere near as hot! I've not really done much on it yet, just web/email/iTunes etc., but the problem areas for heat (above the keyboard etc.) are now almost cold, just slightly aired, whereas before (doing the same sort of things) on my Merom, it was "very warm" in places.

-The penryn's fan (lowest <2000rpm setting) is a fraction louder, and it also has a faint constant buzzing coming from the right of the keyboard. Not really a problem, but does make it ambiently a little noisier.

-My display (glossy) is about as good as before, with slight fading towards the bottom of the screen (apparent on most MBs/MBPs I think!), and ever so slight backlight bleed on the bottom (this is less than before).

-The optical drive sound (that happens when you start up the computer, or wake it) is very different - it's more muffled, and lower in frequency than the old one, and generally a quieter sound. Strange!

-The keyboard has a slightly different feel, a bit more positive and slightly less spongey, and also the coating on the keys feels a little smoother somehow...

-Not sure if I just had a bad Merom, but the overall physical build quality seems a bit better on the Penryn - the lid now shuts a bit tighter, although there's still a slight gap, with the left a bit more than the right, meaning you can ever so slightly rock the lid when closed, but it's better than before; trackpad button now has a much softer physical click, and it's more sensitive.

-Hate the caps lock "safety" feature now, grr.

-Illuminated keyboard now more uniform across each key, and lights up much more of the key labels (rather than leaving dimmer areas), making it look more constant.

-Love the multitouch, it works seamlessly, and is very sensitive. The trackpad is a little too small for it though, getting 3 fingers on there, and/or pinching is a bit limiting - I really wish they'd put the MacBook Air trackpad/button on there!

And that's it - overall very pleased! As you can probably tell, I'm very picky, and this Penryn still isn't perfect, but it's much closer than the last one (apart from perhaps that "buzzing", but I should be able to live with it)!

2. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

im pretty sure most of the stuff u stated was specific to ur Mac. They updated the processor, added multitouch, option to bigger HDD, and add some media keys across the top. doubt they even touched most of the stuff u stated.

3. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

That seems probable.

As for the screen, I've still never seen a perfect MBP (or laptop in general) screen, at least according my own personal definition of "perfect".

The important thing is, you're satisfied with the new machine. That's all that really matters with these things. We spend too much money on these units to be anything less than completely satisfied.

Congratulations on the new MBP.

4. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Maybe - but the optical drive sound is dramatically different.

5. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

Just commending you on your efforts, I would have never thought of that!

As an aside, I hear people mentioning 'spongy keyboard.' I have a PB G4, which I believe is the same keyboard as the MBP, and I absolutely love it. It the PBG4 keyboard different from the MBP one because I would struggle to call my keyboard spongy. The keys are solid, bounce back as well as they should, and I love this keyboard- please never move to the black MB/MBA keyboard!

6. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

before i got my own MBP..
    i was happy with the chicklet style Macbook keyboards..
    but now that im using the MBP..
    i have to say that i was wrong to judge the the MBP right away..
    after getting used to the keyboards of the MBP... i actually like it!

7. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hehe - Well, this new one is a lot more positive, it's definitely different. Just comparing it to my aluminium Apple keyboard, the keys have longer travel, and are a bit "softer", but I like both keyboard feels to be honest! So I have the best of both worlds :)