Comments on New 2.2 MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Erasmus, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Hooray! Have finally gotten my Macbook Pro!
    Went and bought it yesterday.

2.2GHz, Matte (of course) no upgrades.

So, as many of you know, my only computer has been a 450MHz G4 Cube.

So, first, the bad. My screen does have a yellow tinge on the bottom third, and I'm guessing the thermal goop is a little thick (sorta calibrated the battery last night, drained it by looping a song and using the visualiser in iTunes uncapped, picked up to low 80's, but the fans came on at about 4600rpm (noisy, but not bad, just a whoosh, no "moo" or anything), and it didn't go much over. The visualiser wasted the battery in a little over an hour (quite effective).
    One thing I noticed is as others have said, the default colour proile is absolutely ****. It's way to yellow, but it comes with an Adobe colour profile that I like very much. I don't think I'm that worried about the yellow bottom third, would be too much of a hassle to take it back and get it replaced. It's noticeable, but I don't really find it that distracting.

Now, on to the good. Holy crap, it's fast. (Am writing this on the MBP, of course) Now, Quake 3 couldn't do anything to it, so I'm ignoring it. I tried doing a benchmark using "OpenMark" between my Cube and the MBP. The cube gets around 130, and stops the triangle count at about 100,000. Now the MBP takes a hell of a lot longer to do the test, because it keeps bringing more and more triangles... I wasn't there to see how far it got to, but I'm sure it would have been around 10 million triangles. The final result was around about 13,000, 100 times more than my cube.
    I am now using iTunes to convert 36GB of Apple Lossless music from my cube to a more hard drive friendly 128kbps AAC. It's going at 20-25x. While that was running (it will take a while), and playing a song, I tried running the game "scorched3d". Of course, even while converting songs, it completely demolished my cube, which is only able to play the game with decent framerates (20-30, maybe, probably less) on the lowest quality. The MBP was able to return easily playable framerates (~40) on the absolute highest quality, still while doing all the converting and song playing in the background.
    Bryce 5.5 seems to work very quickly, although it's not Universal, but it does have some issues.
    I will probably try using handbrake soon. My cube estimates it would take well over a full day to do a single pass iPod quality h.264 conversion of a single commercial DVD. I imagine this would take far less time ; )
    I will probably download Freespace 2 some time so I have something at least close to worthy of this incredibly speedy computer.

Other bits and pieces will probably follow. ie. The keyboard is different from what I'm used to, sometimes it won't register a keystroke (while I'm typing this) but it seems excellent otherwise. Keys are straight and even. The lid closes very snugly and tightly.

So, anything anyone recommends? What is the best way to completely "torch" the CPU and GPU (other than games, I don't really have anything in that department that would be adequate) I imagine the "Openmark" GPU test would be perfect for the GPU, but what are those Terminal commands to get both cores going full bore? And is it just a case of quitting terminal to get it to stop?

So, everyone out there, no, Apple computers are not perfect, but neither is any other computer company, and the hardware is awesome, so as I've said multiple times before in other posts, stop worrying, and go get one!

Thanks, and here's one more positive thread.

2. jellz macrumors regular

lol i was wondering when you were finally going to get one after all that info you posted about the graphics card and blahbalbh in the waiting thread. congrats!

3. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

That really sucks to hear that you have the yellowed screen :( even if it's not distracting, it still takes away from it.

On the other hand, Congrats! I've still yet to upgrade past the G3 in my sig : ( One day.. I just don't see the point if it still meets my needs i guess.

4. Erasmus thread starter macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Comparing the speakers to my dad's 17" PBG4 last night, the audio seemed to be about the same.
    One thing that almost literaly blew me away is the power of the headphone jack. On my cube, I usually listen to music at about half way (8 dots) with earbuds. With the speakers on the MBP, you really need the volume almost full. But, I must admit, when I put in my earbuds, I was lucky I plugged in the earbuds before putting them in my ears, because I reckon the audio out is about twice as loud on the MBP as my old Cube. I'm comfortably listening to music now on 4 volume dots, and I'm pretty sre that if I went all the way up, I'd very quickly be in a lot of pain.

***HEALTH ALERT***
    This is definitely something people should watch. The sound from my cube was about the same volume to my ears coming from the speakers or through the earbuds. On this MBP, people should take great care, because relatively soft music coming from the speakers cold quite easily translate into pain/damage throgh earbuds. Earbud music is a LOT louder than speaker music.

Just thought I should share that with you all : )

EDIT: CPU sitting on about 40˚C, with Safari, iTunes and MSN Messenger open.

5. Erasmus thread starter macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Tried maxing out everything again, iTunes Visualiser going full bore, and "OpenMark" sitting in the background with over 10,000,000 triangles, and CPU was sitting just above 80?C, and GPU just below. Fans sitting at about 2200rpm.
    As soon as I start the bencmark, fans shoot up to 5200rpm!
    Just a ouple of mintes later, and temps back down to mid 50's
    Happy with temps and fans.