Comments & Suggestions on my first website!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Got Josh?, May 15, 2009.

1. Got Josh? macrumors member

So after some help from the folks around here, and a little bit of time, I've practically "finished" my first website. It's for an architecture company my sister owns. It's nothing WOW just some HTML & CSS with little bit of PHP. I'm very pleased with the results so far, hence this is my "first real" website.

I would like everyone to post any opinions on whatever you think that could improve the site, or any criticism would be helpful, thanks.

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

3. Got Josh? thread starter macrumors member

4. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Not bad!! It's cleaner than what some 'professionals' create in terms of code and such. Home page had 2 simple errors to fix on validation. You avoided tables, used CSS nicely... good job.

What imaging software did you use? The text is in the graphics is not refined at all, just chunky and I think that's just a setting you need to fix. And pick a different font inside the picture roll-overs, it's too square. The design overall isn't terribly exciting, but it doesn't distort my face :)

I think you did a great job! Some find tuning on the graphics and maybe a few more graphical elements down the road and it'll be a very solid site. Stick with the standards (like you are) and you'll do great. Did you design it on a Mac? I recommend doing the HTML in Coda, it's fantastic and can validate on the fly as you code so you can know exactly when you go out of bounds.

Overall... very nice!

5. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Overall i like the design but find the typography very poor and in need of a good font choice and a lot of your fonts such as your logo can easily be done with css only which would make my text reader happier.

You also use what i can only describe as a "splash screen" this is imo and others to be dated and only serve as a obstacle to the main body of your website. Consider reworking your home.htm to be your index.htm so that all of your content is instantly visible, i would suggest a layout similer to this for the style you are going for and to take a look at the other examples from the csszengarden website for inspiration.

Overall a very good first website and neat coding. Though you are using in page styling i suggest you put it into a separate stylesheet.

6. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Design-wise, everything's all jaggedy... It looks very '90s (GIF images and the like.)

7. Got Josh? thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a Lot!! Yeah, i read about it when i started learning CSS so i avoided at all costs.

I used mostly Photoshop, i wanted to do most of the fonts with CSS, i haven't yet learned quite that much to do it, perhaps someone could point me in the right direction?

Yeah, i did designed on a MAC and i did used Coda for the first part of the HTML aftewards i switched to Dreamweaver in order to use the template option that it has so it would update everything automatically, do you know if by any chance CODA has this feature?

Yeah, i know it can be done i just didn't find the exact info on how to do it. So i had to go down this road, i plan to keep on working on the site so it'll be done :p.

My sister really wanted this splash screen thing, i told her it was outdated but she wouldn't listen and still wanted it, i know it's annoying and it's funcionality it's a 0. I'll try to convience her by making her read this :p thanks jen.

THANKS A LOT for that CSS GARDEN link that exactly what i was looking to do, but i couldnt really find any "UPDATED" info on how to embed fonts into CSS perhaps you could point me in the right direction here?

I only used in page styling for the splash screen, because i don't think i need another spreadsheet for that splash only, or am i mistaken ? :S

8. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

The idea of a stylesheet is to use the same one for every page on your website, not a unique one per page.
    This gives your site a consistent look and feel as all the pages look and act the same and become part of the hole instead of there own walled gardens.