Commercial jailbreak/unlock for 3gs (bb 5.16.02)?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sra, Oct 6, 2011.

1. sra macrumors newbie

I have a 3gs with old bootrom, iOS 4.3.5 BB 5.16.02, locked to US AT&T. Diligent search through these forums and elsewhere suggests that although I can jailbreak this phone, the standard way to unlock it won't work without changing the baseband and risking the loss of GPS functionality (unacceptable).

Whenever I search for information, though, sites pop up offering software that supposedly can do what I want ... for a price. Now the price ($19.95, $24.95, thereabouts) is not an obstacle, if this works. But it's hard to believe the people selling this know something that the vast non-commercial community doesn't. So my question is: is there any reason to think these offers are worth considering? Any experience with places like "iPhone-unlocker-pro", "fast-unlock-iphone", etc.? When I find comments on these sites, they are all more or less the same with essentially the same bad grammar, so it's pretty clear they're fake. Are there any real experiences out there?

I'm in china for the next few months, and I'd really like to have local service. I don't care so much about jailbreaking per se -- it's just getting the phone unlocked that matters to me. Any hope?

Thanks,
    --
    Steve Anderson

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The only way to unlock is to upgrade to the iPad baseband. But this is the route that could cause you to loose GPS.

3. sra thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sure that's true. But I would still like to hear about what these commercial sites have to offer, and what the experience has been of those who have patronized them.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Anything they offer is a scam. There are no unlocks for your iPhone besides the one posted above.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

All the commercial sites do is take the free software and sell it to stupid people who are also too lazy to do any research.