commercials for other tablets use simulated screens

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bocomo, Sep 8, 2011.

1. bocomo macrumors 6502

2. Harvey Specter macrumors regular

Harvey Specter

Maybe. At least we know apple is being real with us, I like their commercials because they show what it can really do.

3. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

It's the only way they can be sure their screens look as responsive as the iPad. They are insecure.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Are we sure Apple doesn't simulate their screens either? It's a very common practice. Advertisers simulate screens because if the camera's FPS don't exactly match the screen's FPS and are not synced up, the image on the screen would flicker when played back. It has nothing to do with the manufacture's confidence in the device. It's just easier to simulate the screen than to film it.

5. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Verizon's iPad app used a simulated screen too.

6. bocomo thread starter macrumors 6502

i watched for that the next time i saw an ipad commercial

all i saw was

apps from itunes and segments sped up

or something like that, i can't remember exactly

7. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

This guy hit it right on the money, if you look at the stock footage they actually have a green or blue image displayed on the screen so that they can key it out easily.

8. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Where would one even find the stock footage?

9. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Verizon's "ad"....and yes when the people were shown reading on the beach the screen was way too bright to not have been simulated.

10. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

We had that problem with crt screens. I'm pretty sure apple isn't using a CRT in the iPad. I would guess the problem today is with exposure, but that can probably be handled with a good DP.

11. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

As I've tried to make decent photos of the tablets I review, it has become clear that reflected glare is the most frustrating thing to eliminate. You never see reflections on screens in ads, which to me indicates the screen images are all added after filming.

12. urkel macrumors 68030

Apple simulates the screens too because filming glass and electronic screens without getting glare or gradients is next to impossible. The only difference is that the post production is less obvious in Apple commercials.

Actually, "insecurity" would be being so obsessed with defending their personal brand of choice that one would go around slamming the competition in order to make themselves feel better.

13. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I think the problem with "other" tablets is that the wireless carriers are the only ones who seem to want to market them. And the wireless carriers (especially Verizon. example: the new Bionic ad. Yes, I know it's a phone, but it's the first thing that comes to mind.) like to use flashy action sequences and crazy animations to get you to buy the product rather than show you what it does.

Apple just says in their ads, "Here is our product. Here is what you are able to do using our product. Isn't that cool?" Apple logo. Fade out. Just like the company itself, the ads are simple, well designed, and play to the emotional attachment people seem to have with their Apple products. I will admit, sometimes when I'm browsing Apple's site, I watch those iPad ads. In the same way that the Pure Michigan commercials make me want to go to Michigan, the iPad commercials make me want to go get my iPad 2 and just hug it for a few minutes.

14. urkel macrumors 68030

What they can "really do"?
    [​IMG]

I love Apple products and all but lets not pretend they're any more honest than everyone else. Apple puts the industries worst cameras in their iPad/iPod Touch/Macbook Air (i own all 3) yet when they do their emotionally manipulative commercials the picture is crystal clear with none of the grain, the eyeballs looking off center at where the camera actually is and the inconsistent lighting issues that you get when you "really do" what the commercial says.

15. iPad 3 macrumors member

You've embarresed yourself here, Apple DO simulate the screens in their ads.

16. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yep. Everyone does, for the reasons already explained above.

17. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

You mean FaceTime won't introduce me to such attractive people? I'm disappointed.

18. bocomo thread starter macrumors 6502

How have i "embarresed" myself?

It was just something i noticed

19. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

There is a note on the screen that says 'sequences shortened'

as in, they cut out all of the other bits of navigation to get to the clip of the app that they are showing you.

20. bocomo thread starter macrumors 6502

i know, but that's not the same as simulating it

21. iPad 3 macrumors member

Well you noticed wrong.

22. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

+1

23. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Can anyone explain this?

Apple in their promotional photo's of the iPad2 with facetime.
    The iPad has it's camera right over to one side of the device, so it's looking at you, the user from the side.
    How come the images on the screen look as if the camera is pretty much dead on, and you can see both people's left and right ears, when one ear would be hidden from the camera over to one side?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...PI/AAAAAAAAOMI/p_Rb-pvc4yk/ipad2_facetime.jpg

?

24. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Apple got in trouble in the UK because their iPhone ads were exaggerating the speed of iPhone 3G.

We've had the 'sequences shortened' note on all their ads since that ruling.

25. bocomo thread starter macrumors 6502

how, exactly?

care to actually add anything to the conversation?