Commodore - look what else will run OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sined13, Mar 17, 2010.

1. kasakka macrumors 68000

Still don't understand why anyone would pick this over a modern laptop or a desktop PC. There really isn't much to like about it.

2. castlema macrumors member

I wonder what the "additional optional hardware" is and how much it will cost. As it stands it's not something that does much for me but if I was in the market for a Mini I would certainly look at it. Now, if it looked functionally the same as the C64, right down to the funky graphics on the keys and the wonderful brown case, I would by one for sheer nostalgia. I might have to find a C64 emulator and my old disk for Castle Wolfenstein or maybe Loadrunner. I know I still have my 5.25" Zork disks somewhere.

3. sined13 thread starter macrumors member

It'll be interesting to know what the price will be. As for the optional hardware, I suspect this is a "loophole" approach so that they don't end up the same way as Psystar.

But anyway, details will be announced in June so it's all speculation until then.

4. chriszzz macrumors 6502

5. castlema macrumors member

I can see a niche for it for people using their TV as a monitor and wanting something better than a gaming console. It certainly won't be a huge seller.

6. ttopp macrumors regular

I like it!!

have to agree with castlema though it should have looked like the 64 lol though it is retro in design even though its a bit updated..

should i get one??? ddr2 in a quadcore??? mmmmmmm!!!!

7. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

What a nickel and dime outfit. I'm not trusting my payment information to someone who doesn't even bother to register a domain name.

Not to mention I can find no indication that this guy has any right to use the Commodore name or logo.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

9. Donar macrumors 6502

Donar

This thing looks really ugly. It's sad what crap is now sold under the Commodre brand.

10. FaustsHausUK macrumors member

FaustsHausUK

Seriously, "You loved us then, you'll love us again"? Um, the "us" you refer to is not the same "us" that I loved. In fact, the brand has changed hands too many times to count since I loved that "us".

11. sined13 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, they're mainly counting on the nostalgic brand name. Well, we'll see when this thing goes live.

12. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

This has to be one of the shoddiest looking "corporate" websites I've seen, what a joke.

EDIT: I love that the "configure" page leads to nothing...

13. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Geez, could they have at least gotten sufficiently high-res images of all the non-MS logos? The Ubuntu one looks like it was originally 128x128.

And since when is Ubuntu not Linux? (GNU/Linux people, gtfo)

14. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I thought it was a fake. Still not completely sure it's legit...

I configured it and then scrolled to the bottom and reloaded because I thought the page didn't load all the way. Terrible.

I'm curious to know the base price.

15. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Agreed.

I just can't take this thing seriously. I don't like the fact that my keyboard is HUGE and ugly, maybe if it were in the screen.

16. sined13 thread starter macrumors member

Wow, I had completely blocked that out of my mind. Good find!