Commodore Monitor Analysis

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by tevion5, Oct 18, 2014.

1. tevion5, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

I see a Commodore 1084 Monitor that would match my Commodore 64C perfectly for a good price on ebay.

However, the screen displays lines on the top portion of the screen. The seller notes this in the description also. It looks to me like the many settings at the back aren't tuned correctly, because my Apple Monitor III gives very similar lines when not set up exactly so. It has around 4 different knobs to fiddle with. I'm assuming a commodore monitor would be similar.

What do you think, is it a bad input or incorrect tuning, or do you think it's likely that the monitor is actaully broken?

It'd be great if I could get the opinion of somebody with experience with these monitors. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Yup, it's likely the vertical size - you get that when you increase the vertical size of the picture so far, that it starts "wrapping around" back down.

Note that essentially every CRT "monitor" (as opposed to TV,) when properly adjusted, should have SOME black bars around the border.

When I have seen that symptom, it was fixable with the adjustment dials - but it is possible that this one could be so out-of-whack that it would be "too tall" adjusted even on the minimum setting now.

3. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

I suspected as much. Your opinion is always a valued one!

I think I'll get it anyway as for the price, it's well worth the risk.

Wish me luck!

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Another thing to consider is that some monitors (I have no idea about this one,) may have a SECOND set of adjustment controls on the inside - if the control on the outside doesn't fix this, you may want to try opening it up and see if it has a second set on the inside that can do it.

5. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

Hmm, I do always enjoy working close to those flyback transformers :p

I think theres strong chance it's in good shape anyway. I must get on contact with the seller asap.