Common Access to FIle...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RobbiePoe, Apr 26, 2007.

1. RobbiePoe macrumors newbie

Hello everyone :)

I have an unusual(?) problem that I was hoping someone could help me out with. Here is what I would like to do...

• Multiple users having access to the same file simutaneously
    • Each user being able to edit the file, and those changed show up on other machines upon some sort of refresh command.
    • This needs to be done without each user having to "Check In" and "Check Out" the file.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There was another program that was being discussed here recently for collaborative editing of Office type documents, I think? Aimed at undergrad and graduate students? I'm blanking on the name, now. :(

3. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Subversion can merge ASCII files. So if you edit a file and someone else edits the same file it will attempt a merge. Only when edits are performed on the same lines that manual merging will need to be done. Nothing is ever automatic.

I haven't used Subthaedit, but just looking at it it seems cool. BTW, Subversion is more for version control in a development environment. Plus you need a server to run it off of (Apache or IIS).

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

5. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

Subethaedit is a really nice program. I've used it back in high school in my CCNA class. It reminds me of iChat, only everyone is working on the same document.

Definitely worth doing because all you need in a network connection, and the same version on every computer.

Steve