Common Dilema: Pro vs Air Pre-Update

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Joebrown, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Joebrown macrumors member

Hi all, this seems to be a common dilema for a lot of students looking at new macs at the moment.

Basically, I start back at college in a few weeks where I'll be working 9-5, 5 days a week on both my coursework, but also some basic (really basic) adobe design and iMovie stuff for some projects too. I'll be travelling a lot so weight is quite important and I also have an iMac for big tasks at home, but I'd also like what I have to be sufficient and capable when away from home too.

However, after months of waiting and debating, and being disapointed with WWDC I've hit a point where I need to buy. These are the options I've come up with and I'd love to know what you think :confused:

Macbook Air 2013 Refurb
    -£679 (a great price, won't depreciate much on resale in future)
    -4GB Ram (a bit disapointing compared to rMBP)
    -128GB SSD

rMBA Update Could Be Coming Soon
    Light and easy to throw around (love this)
    Sufficient for basic tasks
    Great battery life

Vs

New Macbook Pro Retina 2014
    -£999 (and a possible student discount)
    -8GB Ram
    -128GB SSD

Next update probable in July 2015
    Heavier than a Macbook Air
    But future proof and able to cope with bigger tasks
    Great display

So what do you think? As I say, I'm stuck in a bit of dilema and all this weighing up is giving me a headache! :rolleyes: I'm swayed towards the air atm for its ease and price, as it proberbly won't loose much on this in resale value if I decide to upgrade later on in the year, but I also love the capability and screen of the rMBP, and that it proberbly won't be getting another upgrade for a while now but don't so much like its weight.

Any thoughts? What decision would you make? Thanks in advance! ;)

2. ColdShadow macrumors 6502a

ColdShadow

I'm also considering buying a MBA to replace my iMac,albeit I'm considering the latest 2014 model.
    based on tons of user reviews and comments I read,I'd say the MBA is way more capable than "Sufficient for basic tasks" you said.

many believe the 2013/2014 MBA's are the best computers Apple made ever.and many use them as their main computer (that's what I'm intending to do also)

personally I'm not interested in Retina Macbook pros,granted they are more powerful machines in terms of CPU power and have higher resolution displays,however the weight,thickness and battery life and design (very important to me) are inferior to MBA.

the MBA update is another issue,but as you know rumours are that the possible update will be 12 inches only and with complete new redesign (might not be as attractive as current ones imo,the current one looks just perfect in terms of design)..also if they come with retina displays,that means noticeably less battery life.more importantly no one knows when they will be released..

my vote goes for MBA.

3. Joebrown thread starter macrumors member

Hi ColdShadow, it's interesting to hear from someone in a similar situation. Will you be going for one from new or refurbished? Also, what will you be using yours for primarily?