Common post I know (Buying my first ever MacBook!)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StuartMoore, Jul 31, 2014.

1. StuartMoore macrumors regular

Hello all.

I've come to the decision it's time to buy a MacBook.

Having used iPads over the last 4 years or so, I've become tired of certain things it can't do. (Only had the iPad Air for 4 months and is now on eBay!?

I work offshore, travelling etc, and will use my new MacBook quite a lot.

I'm really not sure which one to buy though!!?? The only thing I've managed to decide is the screen size. 13".

Any advise, pro's/cons from people who have had both would be very helpful. I've searched previous posts and a lot of buyers seem to be in the same boat.

Why do Apple make things so similar, this making choices more difficult!! Haha.

Regards, Stuart.

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

What apps do you use? What is important to you in a mabook? (battery, screen , ...)

3. StuartMoore thread starter macrumors regular

Battery life isn't key as I'll always be near somewhere to plug in offshore.....

As far as apps go, nothing special really.

I plan to use it for some light image editing in Photoshop or whatever? Design work for clothing....

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

Based on the info you gave Id recommend the base mba on a deal (~700$)
    Its cheap, fast, reliable and you will appreciate the battery life anyway.

(Provided its really light Ps work and no 3d stuff)

5. StuartMoore thread starter macrumors regular

I've just had a look on the Apple Store App here in the UK. Seems to be a lot of good refurbished deals on machines released Oct '13.

Is there much of a difference compared to the recent bump....sorry, but I'm a bit out of touch when it comes to Mac/PC's nowadays.

6. StuartMoore thread starter macrumors regular

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

thats the maxed out mba.
    You should be able to get the base for half that price.

8. Anitramane macrumors 6502

9. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Does the size matter? I am typing these words on my new 11" Air and I love it - it is barely bigger and heavier than an iPad but is a proper computer and from one week of usage including photo editing the screen size is sufficient.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd opt for a retina MBP over a MBA, you'll get more bang for your buck imo, faster processor, better GPU, beautiful screen.

11. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

He's been using an ipad, nothing he stated is close to needing 8GB of ram.

----------

OP I would look at either a base model Macbook Air, or a 2013 base or mid tiered retina MBP. The display is significantly better on the rMBP and if you have been using a retina iPad, switching to a MacBook Air display may be tough for you.

Some people aren't bothered by the difference in screen quality. It's best if you can look at some demo's and compare the two.

12. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

Ya, I agree that 8GB RAM is overkill. I'm getting one and would need the extra RAM, potentially (that's a big maybe!) for running VMs, but even then, it might be overkill for me. You should focus on the processor and SSD. Get enough space for all your photos, and i7 should give you a little zip if you need it. But even then, you could get away with i5 as the difference is somewhat negligible.

Rule of thumb: Get the best you can afford while saving yourself room for other things. You should totally keep your iPad Air unless you already sold it, though. It'll be awesome for the next OS update.

My suggestion:
    MBA 13" i7, 256GB SSD, 4GB RAM

13. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

14. StuartMoore thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot for the replies.

As one of you mentioned I think it's find the screen on the MBA tiresome after coming from an iPad Air with Retina.

The reason for offloading the iPad is I want to go back to travelling with one thing. Not a PC/Mac and an iPad. One device that can do it all.

8GB ram is probably overkill.

Can anyone recommend buying a refurbished unit? Or should I just buy the newest....#

Stuart.

15. Meister Suspended

Meister

the rmbp 2013 are cheap now. Get one of those.
    Either the 2.4/4/128 or 2.4/8/256 will do.
    Depending on the price and if 128gb ssd is enough for you.

16. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

Another vote for the retina MacBook Pro. The screen will look amazing just like the iPads. If say get the base model 2014 rMBP that just got released, or if you can find a refurb one that'd be a good deal aswell.

17. AnonDP macrumors member

I would pick up a rMBP. One of the following:

Brand new base 2014 rMBP 13" @ £999 from Apple. (Know anyone with student discount? get an extra 10-14% off this as well as a £60 voucher which can be spent on AppleCare for example)

Refurbished base 2013 13" @ £799 from Apple. (Would only get this if budget is a big issue, which working offshore I can't imagine it is :p )

18. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

OP you will probably never be able to tell the difference between the 4GB of ram in the 2013 and the 8GB in the 2014.

19. StuartMoore thread starter macrumors regular

So I managed to get student discount (not mine) on a new MBPr base model. Very happy. Should've had a Mac years ago!

20. Meister Suspended

Meister

congratulations :) enjoy!

21. StuartMoore thread starter macrumors regular

Recording audio in!!??

Thanks! I will....although I have a question about it already!!

I'm planning on recording into it from a DJ mixer & 2 Technics turntables. However I've discovered that changing the headphone jack into a line in option has now been removed in latest 13" MBPr. :(

Can anyone confirm if the new Mac beta software that some of you are testing has brought this function back? Or am I gonna have to buy some usb interface type thingy.....

Thanks, Stuart.

22. Meister Suspended

Meister

you'll have to buy a usb interface type thingy ;)

23. StuartMoore thread starter macrumors regular

Oh!! That's a bit ****. Was hoping the new software would suffice....

Any ideas which one??

24. Meister Suspended

Meister

for example: http://www.audio2usb.com

25. taelan28 macrumors regular

If you want one device its called a Surface Pro 3.
    I have a base 4/128 13inch rMBP. Wish I had 8, but this was out at the time and I, like you, dont really need 8gb of RAM. This Retina screen kills everything. I like saving money and hate wasting it, but there are some times in life where you gotta dish out a little extra cash to get something good. You're not getting a spec'd out 15 inch, you're getting a base 13 inch for a few extra bucks compared to everything else out there.