Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Browsing on the used market (as well as the Apple Certified Refuribished Macs section of the Apple website) seems to yield WAY more Space Gray than Silver MacBook Pros. I've seen the phenomenon a little bit with 12" MacBooks and 2018-current MacBook Airs, but to nowhere near as stark of a degree. Same for iPad Pros. I feel like there's less of a discernable trend with the iPad minis/Airs/and entry level iPads.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is silver just not a cool color? (Personally, I prefer Silver over Space Gray, especially with all other elements being equal, but that's just me.) It does seem to cement the notion that one ought to buy new if they want Silver on these products these days...

Last edited:

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, silver seems to sell faster.
Wait, it sells faster? Like, implying that demand for it is HIGHER than Space Gray? Because I was thinking that the prevalence and presence of more Space Gray models in both the used and refurbished markets was an indicator that more of them were purchased new in that fashion. Or are you saying that BECAUSE there are more Space Gray MacBook Pro models, the demand for Silver MacBook Pro models is through the roof?

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
I think it's normal. People (like those on this forum) were first in line for the SG party and are the primary contributors to the used market. Recent second-hand models in silver are harder to come by because fewer were purchased.

I think it's still a popular color. My local store only carries SG version of the 16GB variant of the M1 MacBook Pro.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Wait, it sells faster? Like, implying that demand for it is HIGHER than Space Gray? Because I was thinking that the prevalence and presence of more Space Gray models in both the used and refurbished markets was an indicator that more of them were purchased new in that fashion. Or are you saying that BECAUSE there are more Space Gray MacBook Pro models, the demand for Silver MacBook Pro models is through the roof?
I can only go by my own isolated experience where silver 512GB M1 MBP’s have been sold out but still available in SG. I had to settle on a 256GB MBP, as I wanted one in silver.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I think it's normal. People (like those on this forum) were first in line for the SG party and are the primary contributors to the used market. Recent second-hand models in silver are harder to come by because fewer were purchased.

I think it's still a popular color. My local store only carries SG version of the 16GB variant of the M1 MacBook Pro.
I wonder if the fact that it's the default first color when choosing a MacBook Pro/Air model makes any difference. Like, you can hit that "Select" button on Apple's website without clicking anything else, and Space Gray is what you get. You have to manually select "Silver" (or "Gold" in the case of the MacBook Air) to get something that isn't Space Gray.
I can only go by my own isolated experience where silver 512GB M1 MBP’s have been sold out but still available in SG. I had to settle on a 256GB MBP, as I wanted one in silver.
That's crazy; though encouraging. Hopefully that will mean that there are more in circulation in the used market (down the road).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.