Community Question of the Week #1 (6/14/09)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mscriv, Jun 14, 2009.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

One of the things I've enjoyed most since joining MacRumors is the community forum and the ability to develop online relationships with others. So in that spirit I thought it would be fun to develop an ongoing community question of the week. The photography forum does something similar with a photo contest of the week and it's pretty cool.

So I'll post a question of a personal nature each week and we can all share. Of course participation is not limited to just that week. However, asking a new question each week will keep us moving forward with new topics. If anyone has thoughts about questions that would be good then just send me a PM. I think the more people we get involved the better this will be.

How about some basic ground rules. My purpose in starting this is to provide us an opportunity to better get to know each other. I imagine some questions will be simple and others might be more difficult. Regardless of the nature of the question, let's refrain from negative comments or personal attacks. The goal is community.

So here goes, let's start simple. The first ever community question of the week is: What is your middle name and is there any specific significance to it?

My middle name is Winston and I was given it because it's my father's first name. Beyond that I don't know of any special relevance. However, my wife and I decided to try and make this sort of a family tradition going forward and we used my first name for our oldest son's middle name. We don't know if the pattern will stick, but it would be neat if it did.

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

My middle name is Phillip. My grandfather's and father's middle name is Phillip, and we also have the same first name, so that makes me the third.

3. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Sebastian

My father wanted it to be my first name, my mother didn't.

Although this one is interesting perhaps a more thought provocative question would have been better.

4. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

My middle name is Alexander and that is the name my mom wanted to use as a first name. My first name is Dylan because my dad is a huge Bob Dylan fan and so he won the name war. :cool:

Edit: 1000 post!

5. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    My middle name is Richard...

My parents knew I would grow up to be a Dick.

6. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

My middle name is Alan. No particular reason other than it was a popular name (in combination with my first name) during the year I was born.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

My middle name is Michael. No significance to it whatsoever.

When my wife was pregnant with our son, we quickly agreed on a first name for him, but it took two months for us to agree on a middle name. She and many others thought Michael sounded good with his first name, but I didn't want him named after me, or after anyone else.

I finally conceded that Michael did in fact sound like a good middle name, and that it could just be a "coincidence" that he and I have the same middle name. No regrets!!

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

My middle name is "Rhett"... Mom was a big Gone With The Wind fan... so I got the name. I actually go by my middle name more then my first name... So yeah I am glad I got it!

9. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Milagro - meaning "miracle" in Spanish.

A couple things to it, my mother was down in Ecuador in a town called "Milagro" during a mission trip and that's when she first felt me kick. Another reason to the name is that it was a miracle that I was born without a C-section because my head was 60% bigger than a normal baby's head.

10. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

My middle name is Absent, because my parents were too lazy to make one up.

11. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Middle name is Aaron, after Elvis Aaron Presley.

I always tell people my middle name was named after Elvis and people always scream "your middle name is Elvis?"

My dad loves Elvis. I'm just glad he didn't name me Elvis.

12. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Peter.

It's my Dad's name and also my great-grandfathers name (on Mum's side).

13. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

This seems like it could be a fun thread.

My middle name is caleb and I chose it. I was given the choice between caleb or shane and I chose the former. I was 10 or so. Odd.

14. Beaverfish macrumors regular

My middle name is Anthony, which is my dads first name !

15. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

16. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

My middle name is Maria and I don't think that there's a special reason. Except that my brother's middle name is Josef so that might refer to the biblical Maria & Josef or just pleasing my overly catholic town's priest :rolleyes: .

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Maybe drop the hardcore super official thread title?

Mine is Mark. I'm sure theres some significance to it that I twigged upon in the past, but my parents tell me there isn't really much to it. My few-years-older cousin is Mark and it's one of my dads middle names too. I think it was my great-grandfathers name too.

18. iGary Guest

iGary

Mine is Ian.

Not sure of the significance. My first name was my dad's middle name.

19. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I think that's a good enough thread idea but it would help to have the question in the thread title. I only stumbled into this one accidentally because I clicked the wrong thread in the spy. :eek: Just a suggestion.

As for my middle name, Danger, of course.

20. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

Don't worry, we'll get there. Send me a PM with some questions you think would be good. Like I said before this is about community, so getting others involved in coming up with questions would be awesome.

Please expound. Sounds like a cool story, especially since most of us don't get the opportunity to choose our own name.

Sorry, I was kinda modeling it after what they are doing with the photo of the week contest. :eek: We can make changes, but I want to have some consistency so it will be easy for returning users to come back each week. If you think others won't be able to find it then please tell them about it and encourage their participation.

21. gibbz macrumors 68030

My middle name is Alan as well. I guess my dad wanted Alan and my Mom wanted Jeremy ... looks like she won but compromised.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Charles. It is the middle name of all the males on my father's side of the family. Both of brothers also have it.

23. bartelby macrumors Core

Cool middle name.

24. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

mine is Luanne...it's a combination of my grandmothers' names , Lula and Annie. :)

25. johnmadden78 macrumors member

My middle name is James. John James, like my dad, and he was named after his grandfathers, John and James.

I wanted to continue the tradition a little, so my son (now 7 months old) is Andrew James.

I'm Interested to see what more 'provocative' questions show up, so this is now my first 'subscribed' thread.