Community site for teachers

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by kevin49093, May 26, 2007.

1. kevin49093 macrumors regular

I'm playing around with Pligg to create a Digg style website for teachers.

As a teacher, I have found that there are a ton of resources online, but you must weed through a ton of junk before you find something that might work well in the class! I have also found that some of the best things I have seen in classes have come from other teachers.

I was thinking that a community driven site for teachers could provide a place where the best resources can be shared. I searched and searched, but didn't find anything like this. What do you all think? Any teachers who see the potential in this?

...I guess it might be helpful if I actually have the link to the site.
    http://www.lessonsource.org

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

As a first year teacher, I need all the resources I can get. I already have tons of lesson plan sites bookmarked. I would definitely like to see a clearing house with a community board for sharing and tips.

3. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Fantastic idea ! I know the TAFE (aka community college) teachers here could use an up to date resource, they don't even think anyone uses Macs anymore.

4. kevin49093 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks...

... for the vote of confidence regarding the site idea. I hope to get all the last tweaks done soon and push the site hard at a week long conference I am attending this summer. A large part of this conference is networking and sharing good ideas that have worked in the classroom. Hopefully a handful of strong teachers visit the site and start posting their little web gems.

Bern- where in Australia are you? I'm actually flying to Sydney in 10 days and spending a month just south of Byron Bay visiting family!:D

5. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I'm actually in the city (Sydney). Byron bay huh?:p Will you be "mowing the lawn" while you're there?

When you get to town look me up if you want.

6. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Is Pligg Good? I tried to go on the site but its down.

7. kevin49093 thread starter macrumors regular

...ummm... I'm fairly good with oz slang, but that's a new one! We will actually be in Ballina, about one block from the beach on the north wall.

Pligg is a very easy to use digg clone. It can be a bit tough to make a template for it, but I guess that might change with the next releases. http://www.pligg.com

8. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Cant wait to test it. :)