commute bag for ipad and laptop

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by glen e, Mar 1, 2012.

1. glen e macrumors 68030

2. tracy2012 macrumors newbie

3. glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

works fine for me

go to timbuk2.com

command messenger 2012

4. SmittS macrumors regular

I've been eyeing this bag. It's not too European-shoulder-bag-esque is it?

5. glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

no..... none of there stuff is, IMO

look at a waterfield cargo too...buy this has more device pockets w padding

6. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I have a small Timbuk2 bag. Works very well for the iPad but the model I have won't accommodate a laptop, as well. Nevertheless, I've been impressed with the quality of the bag. My only complaint is the excessive use of velcro. Drives me crazy. But from what I can tell from the video of the new messenger bag from Timbuk2, this may not be a problem.

Have a Waterfield Cargo bag I've used for years. They wear like iron. I've had mine for five years, about half a million miles of travel and it looks as good as the day I bought it. Many options for interior sleeves and can accommodate both a laptop and tablet very easily. Expensive to begin with and expensive to accessorize. But it also outlasts almost anything I've ever seen by a factor of at least 2. A great bag but no longer my favorite because...

Got a Tom Bihn CheckPoint Flyer as a Christmas present. This appears to be similar to the Timbuk2 bag cited in the OP post in that both are TSA compliant. It is FANTASTIC. If you're looking for the Rolls Royce of bags for both laptop and tablet, this is it. Considerably more expensive than the Timbuk2 but it's manufactured here in Seattle and customers swear by them.

In addition, the Tom Bihn bag enables you to change laptops i.e. move from one size to another, without purchasing an entirely new bag. Just purchase another compartment to fit the new laptop.

I travel a lot and really wanted a TSA compliant bag to replace my Waterfield Cargo, avoiding the need to pull the laptop out of the bag in a security line. The Tom Bihn meets that requirement and rivals the Cargo bag in terms of volume.

http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/500/TB1701

7. glen e, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

Wow! Very nice
    Gotta sell a few timbukt2's I have, to get that one
    but not sure this would fit my projector and cables too - I get the large waterfords and timbuk2's as they have large single cavities that I can pack with spacers....

8. MathRulz macrumors regular

glen_e, Can the Tibuk2 go thru TSA screener with both laptop and iPad remaining inside?

9. glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

TSA says no stacking of two components -

but I don't care about that anyway...because I have met TSA screeners that don't even know their own rules are, and I don't want to be slowed down for that, I take everything out every time. There was a long thread on this a while ago. So I yank everything.I did not buy, nor any of my Timbuk2 bags, for this TSA split feature, I bought it for the multiple compartments, even down to power brick compartments along the bottom...very ingenious.....

10. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Not sure how large your projector is but the CheckPoint Flyer has a very large central compartment that rivals my Waterfield Cargo bag. And my ugly, heavy power brick for my laptop can be fitted along with my laptop, iPad (plus cables), and Kindle Fire. Tom Bihn sells a variety of internal packing accessories, including a specialized removable file folder.

As noted above, I've used Waterfield bags for years. The Cargo line is a great bag. (And I have a Travel Express that hold my iPad and Origami Workstation with Apple Wireless Keyboard). But I have to say that the Tom Bihn bag exceeds the Cargo bag in functionality. Too early to tell if it holds up as well but it appears to be the equal of the Waterfield Design bags.

As for TSA compliance, I've been pleasantly surprised not to run into uninformed TSA employees. Though it may reflect the fact that I mainly fly between airports where they're accustomed to dealing with lots of laptops, tablets, etc. Takes all of five seconds to lay the entire contraption on the conveyor belt and to put it back together on the other side. Now if they'd just let me wear my shoes and belt. :)

11. MathRulz macrumors regular

glen_e and jsh1120

Thanks.

jsh1120--with the Tom Bihn can you leave both laptop and iPad in it going thru TSA?

12. Tali macrumors member

I've had a Tom Bihn Brain Bag for the last 2 years. I've dragged it around pretty much every day and it's still pristine. It really is that good. It was quite expensive (shipped to Europe and taxes) but in my mind it's really worth it.

I also like the Brain Cell approach, when I'm at the office and I just need my laptop but I don't want to march around with a MBP tugged under my arm I can just pop out the Brain Cell and carry it around in that. I just love it.

I know it sounds a bit over the top but consider this. I'm about to order a smaller backpack from them (the Brain Bag is huge and I don't need to carry around books anymore) and I'm more than willing to pay for the shipping to Europe and the extra import tax etc. for the quality and the assurance that it was made by someone who actually got paid for his or her work (something I think is also quite good and that I love to support if offered).