Commute to show in today view

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by bicape, Jul 22, 2013.

1. bicape macrumors newbie

After going back and forth to work for almost two weeks with ios 7 I thought maybe it would pick up on frequent locations and tell me about my commute before work in the today tab but it hasn't.

Has anyone had any luck with that or do you think it hasn't been included in beta 3 yet?

2. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I've tried a combination of everything to get this working..

It hasn't worked for me, yet :(

3. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

4. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

It's very hit-or-miss for me. Sometimes it appears, sometimes it doesn't.

5. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I don't think it's fully baked yet. I think we'll see a better implementation in the fall release.

6. jbenkelman macrumors 6502

jbenkelman

I hope that they can get this feature working. It's one if those things that I might not have known was an important part of my day, but onces it's there I think it will be amazing!

7. paulcdb macrumors regular

I've posted in other threads about this and don't believe right now it goes on "frequent" places like google now does. Instead you need to setup calendar events and enter the address in the location field.

Then, on the day of the event it'll show the time it takes to get to the first event on the calendar.

The only exception seems to be directions to your home which seems to show up once there's no more upcoming events and (obviously) your not at home your home address is setup on the phone.

8. HCO macrumors regular

HCO

when i was at a girl house it told me it would take me an 1 hr and 7 mins to get home.

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It does recognize frequent places, actually.

Three weeks ago, I went out on Friday for lunch with my colleagues at noon. The next week, I did the same thing and we went to the same place. Last Friday, around 10AM, my phone began to show in today view that it would take 10 minutes to get to East Point in current traffic. I wondered why it was saying this, clicked it, and it took me to a pin on the location where we at lunch the past two weeks.

Also, the past 3 weeks I had to go to the airport straight from work. Last week, around 3PM, it began to show me that it would take 8 minutes to get College Park. I clicked it, and it took me to a pin placed on the airport.

Seems to be getting smarter. Also, neither of those locations were in my contacts.

10. paulcdb macrumors regular

I never said it didn't, i just said i didn't believe it did... I work in a different place with training each day and it's never picked up on it. So i can only go by what i've learnt so far!

Either way, it's still an unreliable way for doing it! If you know your going somewhere then it's better to add it to the calendar so the phone knows where and what time than trying to second guess where you might, or might not go based on previous locations.

11. HCO macrumors regular

HCO

That just popped up, while at work.

Attached Files:

12. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

"I never said it didn't, i just said i didn't believe it did..."
    Please.. tell me more. And if you work in a different place every day, how would it "learnt" any of them?

13. OC513 macrumors 6502

For me it started working after a bit on beta 1 and has worked consistently since. It tells me in the morning how long it will take to get to my job and then any other time or place during the day it will tell me how long it takes to get home from wherever I am at that point. I did NOTHING to make it work. I do have myself tagged in my contacts with my home address but I have had that set up since the original iPhone.

14. paulcdb macrumors regular

Because each day is a different location... so if it learnt then it'd know I'm in x on mondays, x on tuesdays, etc by now but it does't and i have to rely on setting up calendar events.

It's still a beta though, Apple isn't going to tell us how things work and so it's better to discuss what has and hasn't worked!

Or we can pick and whine about people's personal experience, like usual! :rolleyes:

15. nheilweil macrumors 6502a

nheilweil

You can see where your iPhone has marked locations: Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> System Services -> Frequent Locations -> History.

Frequent locations are shown as red dots on your map, bigger dots indicate a more frequent location.

The message in your Today screen will show up as time of day corresponds to your being at a location. If the frequent location matches any of your own work or home addresses, it will reflect that in the message.

Attached Files:

16. paulcdb macrumors regular

hmm, frequent locations doesn't seem to be in system services for me so that might be why its not learnt for me then.

17. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

18. mstrshikadance macrumors newbie

...lol

19. michaelfields macrumors regular

The only thing I ever put in my calendar is "work" and the time, no address, and my phone seems to have figured out where I work and live on it's own. In the mornings when I have to work it'll tell me how long it'll take to get to that area. Also, if I go out to a bar after work it'll tell me how long it'll take to get home. I never put in an address for home; I think it just figured out where it gets charged every night haha

20. phixionalninja macrumors member

I go to work Monday-Friday, and after work I have a class Mondays and Wednesdays. Every weekday morning it shows traffic from home to work, then in the afternoon it displays either directions from work to class (on MW) or work to home (TThF). After class on Mondays and Wednesdays it shows going from class to home. I've never put any of these in any calendar, nor do I have my work or home addresses stored as far as I know (it has generic names for the locations, though once it seemed to guess "work").

Edit to add: It would be amazing if they'd add some sort of ability to designate whether a route is driven, walked, or uses transit. I know Apple Maps doesn't have transit info built in currently, but it'd take Frequent Locations from an impressive curiosity to an incredibly useful service for me.

21. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

it didn't show up for me until I initiated siri to give me traffic info to work or to home.

maybe that's the trick.