Commuter vs Candshell ---Best case on the Market?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ARMizApple, Oct 10, 2011.

1. ARMizApple macrumors newbie

Although I do not own the Otterbox Commuter or the Speck Candyshell, from what I have read, I would deem each of these possible contenders for the best case on the market. I am leaning toward the Candyshell because it has a hard backing that wont attract any lint like other silcone cases. From what I have read about the commuter, the silicon tends to be a lint magnet, especially around the openings by the buttons. The Candysehll wont have this problem, but it will get scratches on the hard casing I have read. I am thinking about getting a white Candyshell to hide the scratches. The Defender is a little too bulky for me, so I would not consider it an option here. Any opinions?

2. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

I have both and I like them both a lot.

I like that the commuter covers the headphone jack and the dock port which is kind of a big deal for me because I use my phone in the rain, and while cycling and I don't like crud getting in there.

I don't like that the Commuter leaves the apple logo exposed, I always put a piece of a screen shield over that. It does collect some lint but it isn't too bad.
    The silicone keeps its shape pretty well, but if you take the case off and put it back on a lot it can stretch out.

The Candyshell doesn't collect any lint but the case scratches easily, the white version you can't tell as much. I have had about 4 different Candyshells and the earlier versions had a bad problem with flaking on the rubber parts. It has since been much better but those areas still seem to wear somewhat quickly.

I think as far as drop protection they are pretty equal.

Aesthetically I think the Candyshell looks nicer than the Commuter.

Hope that helps...or maybe it makes your decision even harder? lol

3. ARMizApple thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply. Since they redesigned the new Commuter case, it looks like there is more plastic to cover the phone. But I seem to be leaning towards the Candyshell for a couple of reasons. It seems like it would have a slimmer profile, it just looks better than the commuter with a unibody like design. I would be buying the newest design in white so the scratch problem shouldn't be too bad.The Candyshell seems like a solid case that looks good too. I'm not too concerned about drop protection because I am very careful with my stuff. The Commuter will probably offer better drop protection, but the Candyshell definitively runs a close second.

4. ARMizApple thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone know when Speck will have the Candyshell (4S) in stock?