Comp + DSL = Good. Router + DSL = Bad. Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jwt, Feb 28, 2008.

1. jwt macrumors 6502

I'm migrating from cable modem to DSL and I'm having trouble setting up the router. Basically, I just took the ethernet cable from my cable modem and plugged it into the DSL modem, then config'd the router to get IP from ISP, which it does, but I can't load any websites. If I plug either of my computers directly to the DSL modem, they both get online. If I put the router between them, no dice. The router successfully obtained an IP address, so I don't know why I can't connect to the internet. I also played with the MAC address to mimic both computers, but that had no effect either. Help.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Just to make sure...

It the DSL modem connected to the Internet Port of the Router, with a regular cable (not a cross over, some cable modems required a cross-over cable). Is the router serving DHCP and NAT?

TEG

3. jwt thread starter macrumors 6502

I figured it out after a google search. The answer is that the router takes on an IP address similar to the one AT&T uses, and makes the two incompatible. They use 192.168.1.x. After changing the router to 191.168.1.x everything works great.