Comp Sci Student in UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by samst0r, Oct 2, 2009.

1. samst0r macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'm a Computer Science student in the UK and I've been looking into getting a Time Capsule and possibly upgrading my 1.83Ghz Macbook however I'm confused to which discount is best to use.

Will it be cheaper to get a Developers Account (paid) and use the discount that comes with that or just order through the uni's internet and receive student discount?

Thanks

Sam

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

With the Macbook you're probably better off with the student discount, but who knows. Do the math and see what's cheaper.

3. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I looked into this a while ago and on all computers, including the Mac Pro, it's cheaper to buy with the HE discount.

If you buy the Student Developer Membership, it's £99 and you get 20% (roughly) off computers. HE discount is 14%. So say you want a 13" 2.26GHz Macbook Pro, with HE discount it's £772. With Student Developer discount it's £818.20 including the £99 for the membership.

On a Mac Pro, with HE discount it's £1595, but with Student Developer discount, it's £1618 including the £99 membership.

4. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

As far as I've read, High Education discount is by far the best buying option up there. I think you can only order by the Internet acceding from a campus IP.
    The macs come with 3 years applecare included. As I recall, the save is about 17% on normal prices.
    Other option is Dixons tax free, if are going to travel.

5. star-fish macrumors regular

You might want to check out cashback websites as well and see if you can get a bigger discount.

Student prices will always be cheaper though.

6. samst0r thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help guys!

Looks like I'll be using the HE discount.