Comp. thinks my iPod is a camera?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by J*man, Jul 19, 2008.

1. J*man macrumors member

So I installed the 2.0 update yesterday and plugged it back in iTunes today to sync it and I got a pop up from my computer saying it has found Apple iPod camera. It was asking if I wanted to open in Photoshop among other programs. I just canceled the window and everything else worked fine. Is it because I had saved some pics from an email and windows got confused?

God I want a macbook pro.:apple:

2. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

that is the way windows see it. I would ignore it

3. muldul macrumors 6502

Yeah, my old windows computer thinks this too, it is harmless. Mine did it way before 2.0 though

4. ricartedor macrumors member

Windows often gets confused between removable storage types, and is assuming your iPod is a camera. This may have something to do with the fact that the touch is similar in architecture (including the same drivers) as an iPhone, and the iPhone has a camera, but that is pure conjecture on my part..

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

I think that it has something to do with the ability to save pictures from the internet/emails and screenshots. Aperture 2 is opening for me every time I plug it in, as well.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

As far as I can tell, this happens when you have saved images on your Touch, either from taking screencaps or from saving pictures off webpages. Your computer recoginizes the Touch as a "digital camera," and allows you to copy the saved images off the Touch as you would with any other digital camera.

7. akm3 macrumors 68020

A Mac will do this too.

Once you use the new 2.0 feature to capture or save images, iPhoto will open as well as iTunes when you plug in your iPod Touch.

8. SuperMacMan macrumors regular

SuperMacMan

All previous posters are totally true.

Don't worry: Just hit "Ignore" or cancel or whatever it says. I use a Mac, haven't used a PC in a while, I forget what it says, but I also get this if I have saved a pic or something & connect to my Mac. Perfectly normal, in fact a good feature!

SuperMacMan

9. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

It is because you saved pics, and it's not because it got 'confused'. When you sync after saving pics the new firmware assumes you'll want to sync those photos back to your computer and wants to know what software you want to use to do it.

10. seeny macrumors regular

if you’ve took any screen shot you can get them off your touch via the apple camera

11. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

It's actually a great feature. On my Vista PC I was able to access the Apple iPod, Internal Storage, DCIM, 100APPLE and 999APPLE. My Safari image saves are in 100APPLE and I'm assuming screen captures would be in 999APPLE. Nice quick place to find them and copy/move directly off the Touch.