Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aloper

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2015
Rocklin, CA
I’m a photographer...semi-pro with a Canon 5dmk4 and record images separately to compact flash and SD cards in camera. I’ve used the camera connection kit borrowed from a friend, from time to time. Mainly for quick edits from the SD card while on vacation or business trips. I usually edit in LR on my MacBook Pro.

But I was curious and found some compact flash adapters on amazon, that connect via lightning and offer both compact flash and SD in one. Anyone have experience with anything like these? Just picked up a new IPad Air 2019 to replace an old iPad...the pro being overkill since I have the MacBook for major editing...

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
With my 10.5" iPad Pro, I'm using the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter (the one with the Lightning power input), and it works fine with third party USB 3 (or USB 2) CompactFlash or combo readers.

B7C3BD7D-3CAD-4B6F-B5A6-CCE565E5D59B.jpeg

I didn't want to chance those cheap third-party adapters that are not MFi certified. The only problem with this setup is it requires external power, which can be a USB power bank or a USB charger. This also works fine on non-Pro iPads.

I assume it should work fine via USB 3 with the new Air 3 as well, but I do note that on my old iPad 2 (which does not support USB 3), I'd get weird behaviour with my USB 3 CompactFlash reader, whereas it'd work perfectly if I used a USB 2 CompactFlash reader. I am guessing it is because this flash card is UDMA, and the iPad Air 2 doesn't know what to do with that. Using my old USB 2 reader presumably hides the CF card's UDMA-ness and then the iPad Air 2 works fine with it.

MK0W2

MK0W2_AV1

Last edited:
Reactions: Newtons Apple

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
With my 10.5" iPad Pro, I'm using the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter (the one with the Lightning power input), and it works fine with third party USB 3 (or USB 2) CompactFlash or combo readers.

View attachment 831575

I didn't want to chance those cheap third-party adapters that are not MFi certified. The only problem with this setup is it requires external power, which can be a USB power bank or a USB charger. This also works fine on non-Pro iPads.

I assume it should work fine via USB 3 with the new Air 3 as well, but I do note that on my old iPad 2 (which does not support USB 3), I'd get weird behaviour with my USB 3 CompactFlash reader, whereas it'd work perfectly if I used a USB 2 CompactFlash reader. I am guessing it is because this flash card is UDMA, and the iPad Air 2 doesn't know what to do with that. Using my old USB 2 reader presumably hides the CF card's UDMA-ness and then the iPad Air 2 works fine with it.

MK0W2

MK0W2_AV1
Very nice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.