Compact printer suggestions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by glenthompson, Oct 26, 2012.

1. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Any suggestions for Mac friendly laser printers that are fairly compact. I need one for travel in my RV and need to store it when moving. I don't need color. Wireless is nice but not mandatory. Thinking about the HP 1102 but some of the reviews said it has Mac injection and driver issues. The Brother printers I looked at were larger than I want.

Thanks,
    Glen

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Three points:
    1. The price difference between B&W and color printers is no longer large enough to justify B&W for most users.
    2. A laser printer will have some minimum mass. If this minimum mass is too heavy for you, then stick with inkjet.
    3. There is no better printer brand than Xerox. The Phaser 6010 is the company's entry into the small laserprinter category.

3. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Maybe the price difference isn't that great anymore (though it was definitely noticeable when I last shopped a couple years ago), but the size difference is. Black and white lasers have one toner cartridge and drum, but color lasers have four and usually a large transfer belt, in addition to other complexities that usually make them much larger. That being said, the Phaser 6010 is surprisingly compact.

However, if you're looking only for monochrome printing, I once had a Brother HL-2140, which they don't appear to make anymore but seems to have been replaced with similar small models. Mine didn't have duplexing (the main reason I replaced it), but something about the same size and a similar price now seems to be available as the HL-2240D. I haven't used that exact printer, so I can't say anything for sure, but it looks like a nice, compact monochrome laser if that's what you're looking for.

4. glenthompson thread starter macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I hadn't thought about the Xerox since they're generally largish printers. I have a 6180 at home and it does a great job but is bulky and heavy. The 6010 is 1/2" too tall to fit in the cabinet, opening is just under 9". There's another cabinet I might be able to put it in but have to convince my wife to relocate some of her stuff.