Companies that will upgrade CPU in Mac Pro 4,1??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by denno, Nov 4, 2013.

1. denno macrumors newbie

When I was looking into processor upgrades for Mac Pro I came across an add for a company that will do the CPU upgrade (now I can't find the page). Anyone have any recommendations?

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

OWC do it, but it is insanely expensive. $1,499 to put a W3680 in a 2.8GHz 2010 Mac pro. You can buy a Mac Pro and the CPU for that price.

3. Studio K macrumors 6502

Studio K

I found this guy who will do it:

http://www.pindelski.com/MacProTurbo/

He has posted here in Mac Rumors before. He wrote up a detailed guide to upgrading his Mac Pro. He seems like he knows what he's doing. And clearly enjoys doing it.

4. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

5. denno thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! MacProTurbo was what I had come across before.

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You can get a pair of X5670s for under ~$900 with some patience and X5680s for $1,500. So I'd really consider whether a. the clock speed is worth that extra (is it going to give you that in productivity?) and b. if it is worth paying someone to do this for you when it is so easy to do.

7. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

I personally would rather have someone who has done it before do it for me, especially since I plan on keeping this machine for some time (not a fan of the trashcan pro). Also, some of them offer to buy your old cpu's... which will lessen the cost.

8. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

There might be other eBay Mac Pro sellers who do not advertise a cpu upgrade service but may accomodate such services if there is a private inquiry. They may charge lower.