Companion Laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by klock, Jul 15, 2007.

1. klock macrumors newbie

So here is the rundown:

I work for a company that does managed and colo server work, mainly with linux. I have a dual 1 gig powermac at home and am in the market to get an apple laptop for work.

I need:
    1. extended desktop support, as in splitting the screen over 2 monitors if possible, if that possible.
    2. Excellent response time, since work there happens at a very lively pace.
    3. 15 inches or above.

So I was wondering what you think all would think should fit my needs. I thought possibly a powerbook g4, but I wasnt quite sure. Many of the people who work there carry macbook pro's, but those are out of my price range.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

A PowerBook should suffice if you're not doing anything that is processor intensive. Try to get the Hi-Res PowerBook if possible, it has a better screen resolution. And you can use an external display with the PowerBook.

3. klock thread starter macrumors newbie

I am definately a fan of powerbooks.

Really, the applications that would run on the machine would be:
    1. Opera and Firefox.
    2. Thunderbird.
    3. Terminal Window
    4. Adium

All of these apps would be open at the same time and constantly being used.

How fast of a powerbook do you think I should get?

How also do you think a powerbook would fair during college years?

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

A PowerBook should be fine for those tasks, there's nothing that processor intensive on your list. I'd say get over a 1GHz PowerBook if you can afford it. If your careful with your PowerBook it'll fair fine in college.

5. klock thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome.

I have been looking around these forums (and others like it) and many people are looking to sell powerbooks.

What do you think is a fair price for say a 1.25 gig powerbook or a 1.33 gig powerbook?

Side-note: I also noticed that all kinds of younger kids (my age) are throwing down all kinds of money on lots of hardware. I definately think you would be better of waiting until you got out of college and got a job to decide what kind of hardware you really need. Kind of a strange, object-oriented trend.

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd say an easy way to tell is to go to this website, it asks for the specs of the Mac and gives you a price that it's worth. (That took a lot longer to find on Google than I'm used to for finding a website, weird.)

7. tj53 macrumors member

Prices are a bit high on that site. As much as I'd love to get $720 for my 1Ghz Powerbook Titanium I know that would never happen with macbooks just a few hundred more.