Company Cell Phone, doesn't permit Watch. Is there a separate plan?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Preclaro_tipo, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Preclaro_tipo macrumors regular

Is this happening to anyone else?

Issue:

Employer doesn't support adding "another account" to the cellular plan, which means no adding Apple Watch.

ATT doesn't allow paying separately.

Conclusion:

Apple Watch Cellular is useless to company-paid phone users (who work at a company with a rigid cell phone policy)

2. nostresshere macrumors 68030

When they wrote that "policy" they never thought about this situation. You might try to work through the powers to be to get it as an exception. then again, if penny pinchers are in charge, they figure they do not want to pay for your toy.

Then again, they might think you should always have your cell phone WITH YOU and not left at home, etc.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

As the employer, they do have rights as it is their phone.

4. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

Same as if you're a kid and your parents don't want to pay more.

If you're not the bill payer, you don't get a choice.

5. Farrellcollie, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

I believe the cell phone companies have not thought this through and they will figure out a way to let it happen by charging more money eventually. Their business model is antiquated and they will soon figure out how to make more money off of this sort of thing. I am looking forward to when offshoots like mintsim will be device friendly.

6. richard371 macrumors 68020

This is a big problem for many people that have phones on a corporate bill. Companies don’t want to pay for this feature and don’t want to go through the trouble of taking 10 out of your paycheck and add the feature. It’s a shame. Luckily the service is in my name and not on a corporate plan and I get a stipend instead. I’d never want my phone on a corporate plan.

7. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

For companies in healthcare, the security would be a bigger concern than money.

8. Preclaro_tipo thread starter macrumors regular

Worst analogy in the world for a situation so easy to understand it doesn't even need an analogy. So, um, not at all, this isn't about asking someone else to pay, this is about not being allowed to pay.

Apparently, according to other forums, ATT (and others) do actually assign a unique number to each watch, then they use NUMBERSYNC (that's what ATT Calls it) to link the two numbers. If this (new to me) information is correct it seems like it could be corrected by ATT.

I was just wondering if anyone was experiencing a similar thing, or had resolved the issue.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I suspect all of our Health Care files are out there for anyone to see. After Equifax and other that we are not being told about, none of us have any secrets. Our government could not protect it's OWN employee data so you got to know how well they protect ours!

10. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

The way the plans are designed is that only the account holder can make a change to the plan. This is an added device to your current data plan. Because you're not the account holder, you don't own your phone, you don't have the rights to change the company's plan. Companies lock these for a reason, to prevent employees changing them. The only thing you can do is talk with a representative at your work, buy your own phone, and get some reimbursement from your work on your monthly bill.

11. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

Learn basic English.

choice (chois)

• n.
      The act of choosing; selection.
    • n.
      The power, right, or liberty to choose; option.
    • n.
      One that is chosen.

12. udontno macrumors 6502

udontno

This is why I have two phones.

And get strange looks when I go places. I work in remote areas of Virginia and don't look like a business person who would have a separate phone for work.

13. HeathH macrumors regular

This is the only reason I haven’t upgraded my S0. No way I can get LTE activated through megacorp.

14. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

Separate phone for home and work. I don't like mixing business and pleasure.

15. Minarets macrumors 6502a

I don’t like paying for pleasure when business volunteers.