Company intranet help

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Alewis, Apr 15, 2008.

  1. Alewis macrumors newbie

    Apr 15, 2008
    We recently did a migration from 10.4 to 10.5 on a couple of MACs. One MAC for some reason is having problems accessing our intranet. It can access the internet fine as well as printers and shared drives. When we type "max"(our intranet) in the address bar, it says page cannot be displayed. If I type the name in the address bar on the other MAC it works fine. This is within Safari and Firefox by the way. I can use the IP of our intranet and that works fine. I am wondering why typing in the name isn't working. Now on the other MACs there is no proxy setup or Directory Utilities setup. They are just set up with the basics. Checked the MAC that isn't working right and the setup is the same on it. Yet the name resolution isn't working right. Am I missing something here. I am convinced it is a networking thing. It seems when I type the intranet name, it bypasses our DNS so it doens't see that it is suppose to goto the IP assigned to that name. Then again why would it only happen on this one MAC and not the others. I did try setting up WINS and Directory utlities just to see if that would make a difference, but it doesn't.

    Any help would be great.



    By the way we are running in a windows 2000 server environment. We only have 5 MACs.
  2. JohnMC macrumors 6502

    May 5, 2006
    Duluth, MN
    Are you by chance having any other problems with this server? What services are you running on this server? This problem sounds like a internal DNS Server issue. I would double check that this Xserve is pointed at the networked DNS server and is not looking at itself as the DNS Server. I could be completely wrong but thats my two cents.

  3. Alewis thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 15, 2008
    Everything on the network is running as it should. It's just this one MAC. going to try using a different DNS lookup number. Everytime I try something new, it points more towards the DNS server. My main concern was making sure I did all I know on the client side so I am not wasting my time there. I have been a PC guy since forever and only went to the MAC about a year now. I am still working on learning the networking side of a MAC. So I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
  4. Alewis thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 15, 2008
    OK problem solved. It seems that there was a letter missing in the DNS Settings in "Search Domains". I had corrected this yesterday and I guess it just took until the next day(today) to register. This is twice that a MAC has fixed itself within the last couple days. WooHoo:D. Gota love it:D.

Share This Page