Comparable laptop PC and Price? (Just ordered a 2011 MBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oddlyepic, Mar 11, 2011.

1. oddlyepic macrumors newbie

So I just ordered a 2.2ghz MBP with 4gbRAM, 500gb7200rpmHDD, with the hi res antiglare display.

What are comparable PC laptops going for pricewise, with the same or better specs?

What don't I get with a PC, what don't I get with the Mac?

Thank you. I hope this doesn't start a flame war.

2. mark28 macrumors 68000

For the same price, Dell offers:

2.2 ghz i7
    8 gb DDR3
    640 GB 7200 rpm + 256 Gb SSD
    NIVDIA 555m + Optimus
    Blu Ray
    Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
    91 Wh Battery

It basically beats a 2.2 i7 ghz MBP at every single spec except CPU.

There are probably more PC laptops that offer better specs, but I haven't been looking for one. I just know about this one :p

Some benchmarks showed that Dell offers pretty good displays. I can't say the same for other PC laptops.

3. Jaimi macrumors regular

CPU and "Build quality" - That Dell will be flexing before too long. :) I've owned many laptops, and the two highest quality brands are MBP and Thinkpad. I would not own another Dell.

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Agreed.

But to the OP's original question: Show me a PC that runs OSX (without hacking)......

5. oddlyepic thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm, how about a comparable pc laptop for ~$2000?

6. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

UMMMMM why are people still shouting "building quality!" when there's tons of complaints of overheating and other build related problems on this site alone recently? Or are we just ignoring all those

7. endless17 macrumors member

If you primarily plan on using Windows on a MBP then turn elsewhere. Seriously.

While the machine is gorgeously built, Apple's drivers for Windows are half-assed compared to OSX. You can get better specs with decent build quality and slightly better power management from other manufacturers.

Now, if you're curious about OSX or plan on using it more than a little bit of the time, you really have no where else to turn. That's not to say these laptops are bad. They're exquisitely crafted, and OSX is a dream to use with the hardware as Apple has devoted oodles of time to make the user experience as great as it can be.

On Windows that isn't the case, which is a shame.

8. oddlyepic thread starter macrumors newbie

i was just trying to see what bang i could've gotten for my buck with a pc laptop.

my new macbook is comin' in on wednesday.