Comparable SSD (120 & 240GB OWC) Offered by NewEgg?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doofoo, Jan 23, 2011.

1. doofoo macrumors member

Are there any comparable SSD's (mac compatibility, cost, etc) to OWC 120 & 240GBers offered by NewEgg?

It's a little hard to search their site for Sandforce controller SSD's and find some that match the specs.

I do most of my business with newegg just because I hold a revolving credit line with them.

Any recommendations on both the SSD & 8GB Memory for a i7 2.8Ghz Macbook Pro from them? Links would be great if you have them.

2. altecXP macrumors 65816

OCZ or Mushkin.

3. doofoo thread starter macrumors member

Any specific models you can recommend? When searching for OCZ it only brings up the enterprise models when searching for Sandforce.

4. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

6. doofoo thread starter macrumors member

Okay yeah I see that is Sandforce SF-1200.. Searching for the Vertex 2E on newegg I get no results. So I guess i'll be going with the g.Skill one.

7. doofoo, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011

doofoo thread starter macrumors member

Is the install process still a pain as quoted in the thread below:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=6876

Basically where you need another hard drive in the machine, then clone to the ssd in an external enclosure? LOL crazy, never had this in any other SSD's I've put in my mac's.

Do you need to do this with the OCW as well?

Update:

found the vertex 2 drive. Does this have the same problems as the gSkill on install fresh Mac OSX?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...b=true&Keywords=Macbook&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

8. Cougarcat macrumors 604

The Vertex E drive is here.

Installing with the G.Skill was easy. I bought a screwless $7 USB enclosure from Amazon, stuck the SSD in, and the MBP recognized it without an issue. I formatted it for the Mac in Disk Utility, used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my HD onto it, and then swapped the drives.

I did this because it was the easiest method, not because it was a pain...it doesn't require you to reinstall OS X. And as a bonus I got a cheap Time Machine/extra storage USB drive out of it.

9. Steve Mobs macrumors regular

10. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

For the larger, mainstream SSDs, I would stick with either the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro, Intel X-25, Crucial C300, and some Corsairs. Others seem to be not as reliable/consistent, and performance stats on paper really doesn't have much variance for most average users. Intel X-25 is probably the most time tested, and has been extensively reviewed by pros, and by users, and consistent in top end quality and longevity. Ratings wise, it has the highest on most websites of mostly all SSDs.

11. doofoo thread starter macrumors member

I just like the ability to be able to fresh install without any need to re-open the machine in the future just to re-install OSX. Right now the machine is about to ship from Apple. My intentions are to swap the drive, put in the SSD and do a fresh install from the included media.

Having to put the SSD into a external enclosure, then clone the drive just seems like a hassle to me - especially if I can avoid it by paying a few more bucks so that in the future if I need to re-install I don't have to take my computer apart multiple times.

That said - has anyone used the Vertex 2, OWC or C300 120GB range models in the new Macbook Pro i7's? Any sleep problems, any issues with install as listed above?

12. bwrairen macrumors 6502

Just to let you know that if you clone your current drive to the SSD, your new SSD will be just as fragmented as your old hard drive. If you are looking for optimal speed out of your new SSD, clean installs are best. If you don't have all of your applications to re-install, then perform a clean install of OSX on the SSD and then migrate over your applications and data. Migration assistant does not image the drive and the data migrated will not be fragmented.

13. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

The best way to see if issues exist overall is a compilation of customer reviews. The best way to find this is on Google by typing the model in and if not finding good reviews, changing to shopping mode to see average reviews. You want to consider any model that has extensive reviews, as 10 reviews will not give you an objective idea.

Here is one of Intel's 80GB SSDs with pretty good reviews and quite a few reviews
    http://www.google.com/products/cata...=firefox-a&cid=9697144927598374178&os=reviews

14. doofoo thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I have searched through the reviews of the Vertex 2 drives. However coming here and asking I may get a more detailed response from someone using the same type/revision hardware as I have and getting the specific details I need.

I know from the reviews the performance is what i want. I just worry about the two things I've seen mentioned for Sandforce controlled SSD's (sleep wakeup and the install process). If those two are good I'll make the purchase. ;)

15. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I think the hibernation issue with Sandforce may be overblown. That was the one thing I was worried about when getting an SSD, but I haven't had any problem.

16. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

The Crucial C300, Intel X-25/Kingston Intels, or OWC Mercury Extreme Pro are better choices than the Vertex
    http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=636&Tpk=ssd&Order=RATING

If you want performance, check out the Crucial C400 as it is SATA3 and probably the fastest drive on the market in real world use.