Comparable to MacBook Pro 5,5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dj64Mk7, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Dj64Mk7 macrumors 6502a

I'm starting to think about getting a new computer. I'm fine with either an Air or retina Pro, but I want something that would have (at least) comparable performance (in terms of running apps like iMovie, Garageband, and/or Xcode, though I can live without Xcode if I must. I don't use any of these apps to do actual work, just for fun) to my MacBook Pro 5,5.

The specs of my computer:
    - 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    - [upgraded to] 8GB RAM
    - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
    - OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

My budget is somewhere around $1,300. I will buy refurbished in addition to brand new, and I'd be willing to compromise on things like graphics.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Do you have a SSD installed? Think about it before buying a new machine. I just bought an early-2013 retina 15" and, to be honest, I don't see a clear performance bump on the rMBP over my upgraded (8GB+SSD) white macbook in everyday tasks, even when dealing with Eclipse+JavaEE programming.

Maybe I would see it running way faster on graphics/OpenCL-supported applications or on massive multitasking (like heavy math algorithms which I sometimes run).

3. Dj64Mk7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought about putting an SSD in my current Mac, but then I decided against it. The reason being that before we got my mom her own PC, she would use my Mac. To make a long story short, she loves the Mac and hates the PC. If I buy a new Mac, we can use system transfer to put her back on my current Mac, while I would still have my own computer.

As for your point about performance, my original post states that I'm simply looking for a Mac with (at least) equivalent performance to my current Mac, but of course lighter, longer-lasting, faster, and all the other the reasons you buy a new Mac.

4. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Well, this said, I'd get a 2013-Air because of it's very portable and not prone to screen issues seen on rMBPs. Well, unless you check the display before buying, so I'd try a 13-rMBP without uneven yellowing nor image retention.

5. Dj64Mk7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, now that I've moved my focus exclusively to the Air, I have two questions:
    should I get the 11-inch or 13-inch?
    which upgrades should I go for to get equivalent performance)?

Speaking of upgrades, is 8GB RAM even worth it anymore (with Mavericks' compressed memory and whatnot)?