Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Anyone find a decent, easy to use compare folders app for Snow Leopard?

I've googled and all I can find are old, not updated, or look rubbish.

I want to basically compare 2 folders (one on Mac HDD, one on a NAS), and then sync between them. Mostly the NAS one wont be updated, ie I copy my photos to Mac HDD, backup to TM, and then also another copy to NAS for safekeeping.

Has anyone found one please. Preferably free, but willing to pay for a decent program

cheers

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
thanks for tips, both seem bit expensive and complicated for what I want to do really. I've found SyncTwoFolders but cant seem to get it to work as I want!?!

Keep 'em coming, still waiting for the app that can do it for me, ie simple, cheap, easy to use.

cheers

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Oh sounds a bit complicated for me!! I turned to Mac for ease of use!!

I've struggled through syncTwoFolders at the minute but would prefer something more easy to use....

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
The classic software dilemma: Do it for free but spend some time learning; or pay a few bucks for ease of use.

I'd suggest googling some more. You should find a good rsync tutorial that can walk you through the various options.

mt

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2005
zsComaparePro 3.03

I frequently need to use both folder synchronization and file comparison. And I need to be able to set the attributes for the compare myself.

I have used Foldermatch on the Windows side for many years and it works great. It's a fantastic swiss army knife for file management.

On the Mac side, I use an old program called zsComaparePro 3.03. It has unfortunately not been updated since 2006 and the developers web site is closed. You can probably find an old cracked version on a torrent site though. It seems to work well on 10.6.6, but no guarantees. It's a quite deep program that used to retail for $199.

If anyone knows of other similar software, please share. Most software out there seem to be focused on folder synchronization, not comparison.

asdfx3

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
I use Unison ( http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/ , free and open source), pretty easy other than setting up some rules for which files to ignore (mostly temp files since I'm syncing with a drive that's accessed by mac, windows, and linux users). It can be a bit slow to check changes if you have a lot of files (at least for me with 30k+ files and 20+ gigs). For the first time I'd recommend just copying or rsyncing the files from your Mac to the NAS and from then on using Unison.

Just make sure you do a test run before trying to sync up your real data to make sure you have made any unfortunate mistakes setting things up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.