Compare iphone 4 vs New Ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by indianappleboy, Sep 2, 2010.

1. indianappleboy macrumors newbie

Why should we go for iphone 4@ 599$ when the new ipod touch is there for 299$. Also please tell the differences between both of them. This is in context of outside USA so i cant go for iphone4 with AT&T contract...

2. topherg macrumors regular

because iphone is a phone

differences:

1. you can make phone calls on an iphone you cant on an ipod touch

3. Jenko macrumors regular

But if you set up a cheap contract for calling other landlines and mobile phones with someone like skype you could use the iPod Touch as a phone, couldn't you?

4. mrochester macrumors 65816

There's no ear-piece on the iPod Touch to be able to use the device as a phone.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

- The iPhone 4 is $199/$299 with contract for quite a few people. And say what you want, but most people are probably going to get a cell phone and be under contract anyway. Unless you're extremely frugal or a luddite, but then if you're either, why are you getting an iPod Touch anyway when cheaper alternatives, like say, the Sandisk Sansa, exist?

- You can also natively send and receive SMS on your iPhone.

- You have a 5MP camera on the iPhone 4 compared to a 0.69MP camera on the new iPod Touch.

- For the same reasons people picked the original iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS over their iPod Touch counterparts: you have an internet connection beyond just WiFi, you can make and receive calls and e-mails and surf the web without having to find a wifi hotspot, and without having to carry two different devices.

6. SydneyJunkie macrumors regular

Is everyone in here serious or am I being trolled

7. Jenko macrumors regular

But there are speakers are there not. If not surely you could just plug in ear phones or a head set if you wanted?

8. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I used to think that the iPod Touch was a pointless little device that would never sell.

I'm thinking I was wrong on that one. ;)

Here's the deal, there are plenty of folks who are happy with their 2G/3G/3GS/BlackBerry/WinMo/Android/or feature phone and don't want a new contracted iPhone, or can't get an iPhone. (too young, business requires a different phone, live in a non iPhone area, etc.

If you fall in one or more of these categories, (or even one I haven't thought of, this device is aimed at you.

9. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

The only significant difference is the fact that there is no phone on the iPod. Since the iPhone is not a very good phone, there are several people I know that carry a plain cell phone to use for calls & text messaging. Then they carry an iPod touch for it's features. It's a great solution. They end up with an excellent, very clear & reliable phone, while saving substantial fees since there is no need for a contract with the iPod. The best of both worlds.

I would do this exact same thing if not for the fact that I enjoy having a few smartphones. I use my Droid X as my primary device since it offers two of the most important features I seek. First, an excellent phone, and second a very nice 4.3" display for all the work I do on the web when traveling extensively.

10. mrochester macrumors 65816

Well then you've either got to have your conversation blasting out for all to hear or you'd have to have a pair of headphones permanently connected or to hand.

11. sdmcwilliams macrumors member

sdmcwilliams

Uh, the iTouch only has wifi capabilities. It does not work on AT&T's celular network.

You cannot use certain apps, the browser, etc unless you have wifi. Do people really not understand that the iTouch is not the same as the iPhone?

12. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

You're being seriously trolled.

@indianappleboy, how do you people come up with threads like this, do you randomly pick, use an 8-ball or spend time thinking first? Geez oh mighty

13. indianappleboy thread starter macrumors newbie

@sydneyjunkie and whatami....

I seriously gave it a thought 1st. I also know very well that iphone is a phone and from ipod touch you cannot make calls and text. The query here was that is the extra 300$(599-299) for iphone4 is justified when you can just make phone calls and text over and above the things you can do with a ipod touch. Now that it has got a retina display and a processor at par with iphone4, it should be able to do everything on even terms with the iphone4. Is there any feature or function which is not there in ipod touch and its there in iphone except the calling and the texting as now the missing camera and loud speaker has been added?

14. samcraig macrumors P6

reread your own thread instead of asking the same questions again.

15. Jeeg macrumors member

Don't forget the iPhone 4 also has a 5MP camera where as the iPod Touch can only take still pictures of 960x720 (?).

iPhones also have built in a-GPS and aren't reliant on wifi location based tracking.

Here in New Zealand, Apple charges us $1299NZD for the iPhone 4 32GB and $799 upfront and $40 a month contract for 24 months for those that want it on a contract. The iPod touch 32GB is only $489, which is less than half the price of the 32GB iPhone 4.

So yes there will be people that prefer iPod touches over iPhones.

16. Palomonkey71 macrumors newbie

I think one of the biggest reasons people get an iPod touch is because of their cell carrier....

17. Savor Suspended

Savor

The iPod touch is always the less feature packed of the two. Whatever the iPod touch can do, the iPhone does a little more but at a higher price in the long run.

I started with a iPod touch and it was a gateway toward iOS. But since I hated to carry two devices and didn't always like to find a WiFi hotspot, I went for iPhone. I was under contract with AT&T anyway. Just depends on your situation. If you like your current phone or carrier but still want a taste on most of the iPhone 4's features as a PMP, and don't mind having another gadget to carry around, get an iPod touch. Since my situation is living in the USA under the biggest GSM carrier, my path is with ONE device in the iPhone. Kill two birds with one stone (aka iPhone). For my next phone, I might get it unlocked and may NOT be an iPhone, I may have to settle for the 6th gen of the iPod touch in 2012 if I still need to be close to the latest and greatest of what the iOS will offer. I invested too much on iTunes that I don't want to lose all my apps and multimedia content.

No right or wrong. Just preferences and whatever circumstances you feel comfortable with. Once the iPod touch gets in the triple digits in GB, it will help discontinue the iPod classic the same way the iPod nano can eliminate the shuffle. Then we only have to worry about picking two different iPod lines.