compare new MBP 13" to old 2.16 white macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by magicharm, Jun 12, 2009.

1. magicharm macrumors newbie

I currently have a old(ish) 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo white Macbook w/ 2 gigs of RAM - so a 2 year old computer. I am thinking about buying a new 13" MBP because I would love a lighter machine w/ a bigger hard-drive, but if the new machine isn't going to be much faster than it might be silly to upgrade.

Is there going to be a noticeable difference in processor speed between my current 2.16 and the 2.26 in the MBP, or are those not comparable? Are there enough other changes made to different things that would make the new machine faster? Thanks!

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

Unless you're doing high-end tasks with it, you won't see much of a difference.

3. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

You will not notice a difference in speed, at all.

You will however notice a much better screen, design and battery life. Plus you will get ports like FW800 and the SD card reader slot.

4. magicharm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, those were the responses I was afraid of ;)

It's a little harder to justify upgrading for *just* aesthetics and the FW800 and SD card reader, though the nicer display and the weight reduction are tempting. I will have to give this some more thought.

5. QuietFun macrumors regular

QuietFun

I'm in the EXACT boat you are except with 1 GB Ram and 2 gigs left on my HD. I have decided I'm going to purchase the new MPB with 4 gb Ram and I may buy a new HD to install when Snow Leopard comes out. The graphics and new unibody design along with the SD slot and glass trackpad made the decision. just my two cents

6. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

Um if its a 2 year old white book and you upgrade to the mbp 13 you also get better batt life and the NVIDIA 9400m way better than that gma in your white book which merits and upgrade in itself.

7. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Sorry for my last post, I got a little confused. I thought you were asking about the new 2.13 white MB vs the new 2.26 13" MBP.

Compared to your old MacBook, yes, you will see a difference thanks to the nvidia 9400m (like the poster above me states). You will notice snappier video, encoding, gaming, and overall experience.

I would also say it's worth it just for the upgraded GPU.

8. Theclamshell macrumors 68030