compare refurbished macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by carolinaf, Feb 18, 2015.

1. carolinaf macrumors newbie

Hey!
    I just bought this mbpro model and I'm still on time to change it. Someone can tell me the main difference between these 2 models?

I work mostly with adobe after effects and final cut pro, so I need the better and faster processor. I understand both are great, but I still don't know the advantages of the flash storage.

Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.9GHz Dual-core Intel i7
    Originally released June 2012
    13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1280-by-800 resolution
    8GB (2 x 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    500GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm1
    8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000

Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Dual-core Intel i5 with Retina Display
    Originally released October 2013
    13.3-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2560-by-1600 resolution at 227 pixels per inch
    8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    256GB Flash Storage1
    720p FaceTime HD camera
    Intel Iris Graphics

Thank you!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The differences between HDDs and SSDs is significant. Even if you bought the older MBP, replacing the drive with a SSD would be a major improvement in performance.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The retina model is far faster because of the SSD (SSD/flash-equipped Macs boot up within 11 seconds and launches apps instantly without lag).

And the display is also far clearer, plus a far superior iGPU.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Once you have had a computer with flash storage (the SSD) you will never want to go back. Since I bought my first MBA in 2010, it is what I have used.

The drawback is that it tends to be somewhat more expensive, and you will get better value for your money - i.e. more capacious storage - with the older style HDD.

However, SSD drives are more stable, and far, far faster, and, to my mind, are a lot better. They are worth the extra expense; personally, I recommend that you get the largest drive that you can afford.

5. TLmac macrumors member

Not sure if I quoted this right but here goes:

By the last line, getting the largest drive you can afford....

is the size of the drive the 256 or the 500 GB number? Correct?

Is getting a smaller drive (say 128 or 256) and then adding an external hard drive a bad idea or route to go?

----------

is the SDRAM or the ATA specify the HDD? Since it doesn't say HDD, which of those terms specifies that it's an HDD drive?

(I have been researching MBP's and planning on buying one in May/June so I'm just trying to understand all of the terminology).

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yep the size of the drive will be 128gb 256gb or 512gb for the retina.
    The bigger they are the faster they are but any ssd is better than no ssd.

The RAM is just the RAM thats your random access memory and is where the computer caches stuff for use and the amount is the main thing here but with a standard use case (which I am assuming if you are going for the 13 inch) 8gb is more than enough for the vast majority of people especially with RAM compression in yosemite.

The 5400 is what tells you it's a HDD as that is the rpm speed of a physical platter drive.

As for the 2 you linked the older of the 2 is on tech that is 3-4 years old now with an HDD. The newer one will run rings round it and also has a far nicer screen (the retina is awesome I'd struggle to go back), HDMI, AC wifi, better bluetooth, thunderbolt 2 and is lighter thinner and easier to carry. To be honest it si in a different league and would only be reccomended for very specific use cases.

7. carolinaf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for the responses.
    Unfortunately I cannot change the model I already bought (mbp 2012) :confused:

I will have to wait for my next computer.
    Anyhow, your info was very useful.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Exactly.

My first MBA (which I bought in 2010) came with 128GB SSD and it was much, much faster than my 2008 MBP. By 2013, I had decided to upgrade, and knew that 128GB was no longer sufficient for my needs. This meant that the question then became which of the two I would choose, 256GB SSD or 512 GB SSD.

But, as Samuelsan2001 has already pointed out, any SSD is better than none. My own personal preference was to get as large a SSD drive as was feasible.

9. Meister Suspended

Meister

You are refering to read/write speeds. They are negligable.
    The main difference between hdds and sdds are access times. (IOPS) That is were ssds make a huge difference and why computers feel much faster with an ssd.

----------

There is no need to be sad!
    The model you own now is still excellent. It offers many ports and a superdrive.
    However I recommend exchanging the hdd with an ssd.
    (Watch tutorials on youtube.)