Compare the comeing Macbook Pro Ivy Bridge to Razor Blade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macintoshi, Mar 11, 2012.

1. macintoshi, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

macintoshi macrumors 6502

macintoshi

2. simsaladimbamba

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2012/01/razer-blade-vs-apple-macbook-pro-17.html

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

All in all, the Blade is for gamers, the MBPs are for consumers, some game, but the MBP is not a gaming laptop, it is not primarily built for gaming, but more for all-purpose computational needs.

3. macintoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

macintoshi

Yes i know that, but it does compare the actual macbook pro, but as fare as i know the new ones will be more powerfull with maybe a 2gb nvidia and more ram?and razor came out some time b4 and will not change in spec for some time so macbook will be better?

4. simsaladimbamba

BUT WE DON'T KNOW WHAT SPECS THE 2012 MBPs WILL HAVE. We only speculate and hope for. Maybe there will be a 2 GB option, maybe there won't be.
    The 2012 MBPs will be about 20 % faster according to dozens of articles about the coming Ivy Bridge CPUs, the rest can only be drawn from a hat.

5. macintoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

macintoshi

I know i reall hope for a 2gb opt;),because if so, it makes more sense to go for a macbook pro, specially cause of the long battery life:)

6. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

You're asking for an objective comparison on a subjective imaginary product.
    Please think about what you write before you post.

7. ninja2000 macrumors 6502

Why are people so bothered about gpu memory over the actual gpu!

If apple put an nvidia 540m with 2gb in there is that ok for you?

8. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

It's a gimmick. I won't say it's not useful, but a card like the 555m will run out of steam on games at texture levels that need 2GB. No point having all that VRAM if you can't fill it. I'd always take 2GB over 1 but it wouldn't be a factor in my purchase.

The article mentions that you won't notice the extra VRAM when the system already has 8GB, that is quite misleading. True, you may not notice the difference but GPU memory and system memory are used for different things. These are not integrated graphics so they should not even be compared.

9. macintoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

macintoshi

Yeah would be nice:)

----------

Thanks +1

10. upbraid macrumors member

wow for the price of the razr you can get a top of the line desktop+ps3+xbox360 and money for games. what a rip off.

11. roofz macrumors regular

the razr is nice and will have a really long life (assuming quality parts/craftsmanship), but a MAC is still a MAC... and once you go mac you don't go back.

It is rather pricey too...

12. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Which one is best depends on what you do. Personally, I have never seen the MacBook Pro as a 'gaming' laptop. Some people I am sure feel the other way. I mean, I can't really say there are many 'gaming' laptops at all given gaming with a desktop is so much more cost efficient and laptops lack many of the features that gamers seem to like.

Additionally, you have to keep in mind we are biased towards Macs as we are here.

Personally, I would not even consider the Razer although I like a lot of their products. Why? Mainly because it doesn't have OS X. And many other users here will say the same. While I am not trying to take anything away from Windows 7, OS X does the things I want it to in a fashion that I want it to at a speed I want it to that Windows simply doesn't. And so for what I do, OS X in itself is what justifies the MBP as the Mac OS makes my work more productive. The features that OS X offers, the free software, the ability to make software, the overall stability, and the integration with the iPhone are all big things to me. However, you may not care about that which is why it is hard to say which is best.

Other things that the MBP will have over the Razer? The trackpad is a big one. Considering that you will use the trackpad most of the time you use the computer, this advantage should not be taken lightly. Use the MBP trackpad for a year or so and then try a standard trackpad and you simply won't want to do it.

Is the Razer durable? I imagine so as most of their stuff I own has held up and support has been great. However, I can vouch first hand with the MBP. It holds up to daily, heavy, mobile usage very well. The battery does well, the screen quality is great, and the CPU has saved me hours of number crunching waits. I purchased mine a bit over a year ago. The CPU in mine is still one of the faster CPUs out there as far as laptops go as the quad core Sandy Bridges are fast like a bat out of hell. Obviously, the 2012 will be faster, but it is going to be a smaller step that looks more at efficiency. I've read everything from a proposed 5% to 30% performance increase so who knows what it actually will be when it comes out.

I just noticed the Razer has a dual core in it and not a quad...especially at that price it kind of surprised me. That dual core CPU appears to be the same one used in the MBP 13. Depending on what you want to do, that in itself could be a deciding factor given the 15 and 17 inch MBPs are now quad cores only.