Compare these 2 external 2TB hard drives

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by d wade, Mar 27, 2009.

1. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

I am searching for a good deal on a new hard drive. Was originally thinking 1TB, but then I figured if I could get a good deal on a 2TB, I might go for that.

I found these 2 as the best so far. Wondering if anyone had any advice or experience and could offer their opinion. I will only get one with FireWire by the way.

option 1
    acomdata DualDrive PRO DHD2000UFAB-72
    2TB 7200 RPM
    USB 2.0 / IEEE 1394a / 1394b External Hard Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822216053
    It's about $225 shipped

option 2

LaCie Big Disk Extreme Plus
    2 Terabyte (TB) Hard Drive with FireWire 800, 400 & USB 2.0
    http://www.adorama.com/VDLABDXTP2T.html?sid=1238214088370973
    Probly about $245 shipped

Does anyone have any experience with any of these or any good recommendations? Maybe a good 1TB? Thanks for the help guys! :apple:

2. SecondDealer macrumors regular

Personally I have a 1 TB My Book from WD, you can get a pretty good price on one off of Amazon.

If you're looking for one with USB 2.0 only then you can get one for around $120 including shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1238268446&sr=8-1

One with Firewire 800, firewire 400, and USB 2.0, however, is a little closing to $150 including shipping but the brushed aluminum look goes great with Apple products.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1238268446&sr=8-2

3. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I would go for either the LaCie one or the Western Digital one.

Just make sure you have a good back up plan (unless these are backup drives) because 2TB is a lot of data to have on one drive.

4. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

The Oxford chipsets used in not-too-many enclosures are definitely of the highest quality and will offer the best performance. Seeing that the acomdata does not have it while the LaCie does, I'd say it's a no-brainer.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeah, chipset is important... but so is knowing what kind of drive you're getting in your enclosure. I'd go with a WD or build your own.

6. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

It is that you're on a relatively tight budget (I'm guessing here), but otherwise I'd have suggested something like this excellent RAID enclosure. Then you can just shop for your favourite hard drives yourself. Definitely more expensive, though. The Icy Dock supports hardware RAID1, which is probably what you'll want. Supersafe storage without having to resort to software solutions. Very convenient.

7. d wade thread starter macrumors 65816

d wade

i've got to admit, i'm not an expert on hard drives. not sure what you guys mean by chipsets and enclosures. can anyone explain these to me?

right now i have a Western Digital 320GB (firewire) -- but im getting low on space (about 20GB left). That's why i was thinking about getting a 1TB. But then when I did a search and found some 2TB's for about $50-$60 more, I figured might as well go with the extra TB.

The budget is not so much an issue, it's just that 2TB is not necessary, i was just trying to see if I could get a great deal and get an extra TB for only a little bit more.

i use the external hard drive to hold overflow (movies, tv series, music, etc. and backup my laptop). i have a lot of stuff and it doesn't all fit on my MacBook

all the help is much appreciated

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The chipset is responsible for the input and output (I/O) of the external hard drive and the computer.
    The better the chipset the better is the communication between those two components - better constant speed, not hiccups during connection, .... .

And the enclosure was meant to be an external enclosure in which you can put a hard drive yourself. You buy a enclosure with the appropriate interfaces (USB, FW, eSata) and buy the best/biggest hard drive you can afford and build it into the external enclosure.
    It could safe you some serious money.

9. d wade thread starter macrumors 65816

d wade

interesting, i have no idea how to do that though, lol.

i don't know how to build hard drives though. i'd probly just buy something all done already.

so, you think the LaCie is the way to go?

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You don't have to build your won hard drive. ;)

You just put the hdd into the enlcosure and that's that. Maybe you have to screw a little but that's all.

And yes I recommend the LaCie, I have several different ones without any problems. They seem to have the better chipset. So why not.

But beware there are others who got bad experiences with LaCie so it's possible there might be problems with yours too.
    Like with every electronic gadget we buy.