Comparing 15" Retina MBP and 17" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gman27, Jul 17, 2012.

1. gman27 macrumors member

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

It sounds like, for all intents and purposes, he went back because of Lion. I don't mind Lion, but I think I liked Snow Leopard better. Spaces was way better than Mission Control, at least.

3. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

4. gman27 thread starter macrumors member

I agree that Spaces is WAYY better than Mission Control. Honestly OS X is feeling messy. I hope Mountain Lion cleans some of it.

5. G15 macrumors member

I just believe Mountain Lion will just increase the problems. :eek:

6. gman27 thread starter macrumors member

That's possible. I'm really curious what's in the pipeline a few years from now post 10.X I hope Apple has something more *radical* in the works.

7. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Yeah, he made it pretty clear that he thought the rMBP hardware was excellent, and came back to his 17" MBP because of Lion.

Lots of Apple users seem to be unsatisfied with software lately.

iOS seems to be stalling, OS X seems to go in the wrong directing, iWork hasn't been updated for years and doesn't even support Retina graphics, professionals complain about Final Cut Pro X, iTunes is a mess and should have been redone by now, iTunes Match is buggier than most beta software and people still have no idea of what iCloud does...

It's sad because I love Apple hardware too but I'm trying to think of the recent software/features they released that were truly innovative and useful and can't think of any... :(

8. Slivortal macrumors 6502

I hope so as well. I remember buying my first Mac as Leopard was leaving, and upgraded to Snow Leopard - in my opinion, one of the best-developed OSs of all time. So sad it's gone. :(

One thing I can't stand is Apple's need to iOS-ify everything about OSX. The things that separated OSX from iOS were the things that made it so appealing to me and I feel many others. I don't need my computer to be "app-based" - I want to delve into the machine and do things for myself.

If Apple tries to shove any more of this iOS down our throats, I will have to resort to using Linux more and more. :mad:

9. G15 macrumors member

I fear that the iOS-ification of 'Mac' OS X will go further, maybe there won't be something like 11.0 just one OS for iPad, iPhone and Mac for the few people like us which actually need a PC.

----------

There is no love for iWork from Apple. But if found a great App in the AppStore for very easy work with LaTeX, if only Apple could do something like this.
    I try to avoid iTunes as much as possible, this peace of software is ridiculous.
    Instead of forcing iCloud they should have bought Dropbox.

I love Aperture on the Retina MacBook Pro - this actually is great software imho.

----------

I can feel with you.
    I hate Mission Controle, Launchpad…
    At first I tough Snow Leopard was worse in comparison to Leopard, but now I adore it.

I will try Linux as soon as possible on my Retina MacBook Pro.

10. Slivortal, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

Slivortal macrumors 6502

This is exactly what I think will happen. Just listen to their words.

"This is a post-PC era."

And I know I'm going to be flamed for this, but as a computer scientist, I find this very worrying. I personally am appalled, but have to agree with Microsoft's words.

"This is a PC-plus era."

While iOS devices are fine and dandy for people who only need to consume media content, for the creators of that content and those devices, for the people who truly want to dig deep into their computer and be the TRUE innovators, this is a disastrous change. I think we could get to a point where Apple locks off the file system, and at that point I jump ship.

Disappointed to see Apple take this direction. Not surprised, but disappointed nonetheless.

Try it off a virtual machine (VirtualBox is free). When you set your VMs in different Spaces, you can flip between OSX, Ubuntu, Fedora, etc. with just the flick of three fingers. It's one of the my favorite things about OSX as host.

11. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    I just went from a 17" to a rMBP. There is absolutely no aspect in witch the 17" bet the retina. I would´t go back for love or money.

12. G15 macrumors member

I think the day when they will lock the file system will come, with Lion they started to hide your Library, with ML they introduce Gatekeeper (happily this can be turned off).

I like the point of iOS Devices over Androide (that I as the user can't fiddle to much with the settings) cause this, as you have said, is only there for content creation, I only have it to read/write mails or make a call.
    I can't work with it, I am an Engineer - which of course means I rely on CAD or FEM programs - and I strongly believe you can't model a whole building or make a structural calculation on an iPad.

Thanks for your advice, I will try this.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple doesn't do radical, just look at the methodical updates that iOs and OSX gets.

As for the blog, I think the 17" has a devoted following and some people just can't give up the large laptop. he seems to prefer snow leopard and the ability to take apart and upgrade the 17" MBP. I suspect the rMBP is a portend of the future. Apple's subsequent laptops will be just as proprietary and non upgradeable as the rMBP. For me, its not a big deal, but I can see some people not liking this direction

14. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

They tried. DropBox said no. Right move, imo: I love DropBox just the way it is, and I don't think Apple acquiring it would have improved it.

As for Apple's software... I still prefer OSX to Windows 7. And Apple's hardware design is still tops, so I'm sticking with it for a while yet...