Comparing 2.8GHz MacPro with the 3.2 GHz Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 system

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Jun 19, 2008.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

I am still trying to decide whether to get the mac pro or build my own PC to run Windows and Linux (there are softwares that cannot run on Mac OS). In terms of performance (floating point computations), how does the 8-core 2.8GHz MacPro compares with the Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 (4-core) 3.2GHz + MSI P45 Diamond motherboard combination? For your info, this motherboard supports FSB at 1600(OC) and DDR3 2000(OC)/1800(OC)/1600(OC),...Thanks.

2. G4DP macrumors 65816

I assume from the Q9770, that you want to get a semi-skull trail system up and running. They are not the brilliant.

If you want a good idea how the perform go to Seti@home and look for the top computers. It will be faster than the 2.8GHz Mac Pro but not significantly.

Why not buy the Mac Pro and install XP/Vista via bootcamp?. You can even install Linux on a third partition.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the advice. That is one of my options. However, I read that it might be more difficult to upgrade the Mac Pro (CPU and motherboard) in the future because the system is compactly designed. With the self-built system, upgrade of any parts is easier.

4. kabunaru Guest

Get the Mac Pro.
    Macs even run Windows better than PCs. :D

5. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

If you want a system with a great deal of upgrade flexibility then go for the PC. If you want a stable workhorse then go with the Mac Pro. I have a custom built quad-core windows machine and, while most of the time it is great, when I am encoding a long video the random restarts can get really old. I'm saving up for a Mac Pro now for my video needs. Only you can really weigh the pros and cons of a decision.

6. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I heard that the Mac Pros are very quiet even in a silent room. Is this true? I cannot tell by myself as retail stores are often noisy.

There is a chance that the self-made powerful PC could be very noisy. I made one with two Xeon processors in it three years ago. The machine sounded like a vacuum cleaner the moment I turned it on. People could hear the noise even outside the lab.

7. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Haha, I hear ya hajime (bad pun!) on that one. I built my latest PC and, while it is quite during normal operation, when doing anything at all CPU intensive the thing sounds like a plane getting ready for takeoff!