Comparing 3g ATT vs. VZ - Something wrong here...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by biosci, Mar 19, 2011.

1. biosci macrumors 6502a

WiFi off. ATT service on iPad 1 64gb, Verizon Service on iPad 2 64GB

Using Speedtest X App

For ATT, I got these results which seem normal to me (I've always used ATT until I just got the new VZ iPad)

[​IMG]

Then, on the Verizon iPad, I got this...
    [​IMG]

This can't be right and makes no sense. I thought AT&T was supposed to be faster? Could it be that I'm just using a bad app that's not reliable?

Any insights appreciated.
    (Used the TIMG tags so you can click on the images to make them larger - I think...)
    Mike

2. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I would test a few more times at different times to validate the first results.

3. spgiva macrumors regular

spgiva

Out of curiosity,why did you think AT&T was supposed to be faster? I have never heard anyone (other then AT&T) say that.

I agree with the poster before me though, run the test in a few different places, at a few different times, and get averages.

-spg

4. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I have heard it a lot among Verizon iphone4 users. They said they switched to Verizon because AT&T kept dropping calls. They said that they don't suffer nearly as many dropped calls but their data is a lot slower now.

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Those Verizon numbers seem inflated for some reason. It could just be a signal fluke though. I have a 3GS and an Ip2 ATT and I've put some result lists below from the speedtest app (iPhone version on both). The wireless tests are all from the same location...fluctuates ridiculously.

Attached Files:

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I hear it all the time and I completely agree with it. GSM is better for data, CDMA is better for call quality..

My coworker has a Verizon iPhone, I'm on AT&T. We ran a data test at the same time same place. I got 2.59Mbps down and 1.56Mbps up. She got 1.45Mbps Down and .95Mbps up. Ran multiple tests and all turned out the same. We both had 5 bars of 3G reception.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

8. biosci thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the input. I purchased the VZ iPad so that if my iPhone was dead too, I can always back up/fall back on the VZ of the iPad. Plus, a lot of road trips planned for the summer (More network availability on VZ).

Then I've simply remembered all the times when I do have full bars on ATT and still can't make a connection for whatever reason. Has happened so many times! When friends / coworkers have no problem with VZ. And finally, just a change of scenery!

I'll try again later too.. Maybe a complete reboot and retest is in the future here.

9. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Wow, I never get such great speed. Well, it depends on which speed test app I used. One of them shows great speeds while the rest show terrible speeds. Which apps are reliable?