Comparing Cameras?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mrcowdude20, Oct 3, 2011.

1. mrcowdude20 macrumors regular

Hello, I am wondering which camera is best for the price. I want the lowest price for what I am doing. I am new to photography and was wondering what would be the best for landscape and for people mostly, but a taste of everything else.

Here's the cameras:
    Nikon D3000
    Nikon D3100
    Canon EOS Rebel XSi EF-S 18-55IS Kit
    Canon EOS Rebel XS 18-55IS Kit
    Canon EOS Rebel T3 18-55mm IS II Kit

Again for the price which is best? Also, do you have any of them? Do you like it? Any other options you would add?

2. davidinva, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

davidinva macrumors 6502a

I have the Canon 450XSi as my only DSLR. I have only owned Canon and can't speak to Nikons. As for Canon, the T3 is designed for those who want to shoot video as well as stills. If you go Canon and want to shoot photos only, I would recommend the 450 IS plus the 55-250 longer lens. The Nikon folks can recommend the best buy there. I will add that I have a Panasonic SZ6 point and shoot and now use that for 80% of my photography. Reason: I take it with me most of the time. I keep the Canon for those occasions (action shots) when I need it.

3. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Any of these will do what you want as well as any of the others. Go to a store and handle them and see if you have a favorite. If not, flip a coin.

Paul

4. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I have the XSi. It's a good camera but keep in mind that it's been discontinued for a while now. I don't really know if that means anything.

Canon, Nikon and Pentax all make good cameras and have competing models. Find a camera shop and see which feels best in your hands. The L lenses from Canon are considered by some to be the best in the world, but you really pay for it.

Dale

5. Neous macrumors member

Neous

I don't have any of the camera listed but I think you'd be better served by asking folks to help you decide within one brand name.
    those cameras listed seem to be entry level DSLR and the likelihood of someone giving you good information that you can in turn used to make an informed decision on your purchase is very slim for the simple fact that you'd have to find someone who actually own both systems as it would be the only way for me to tell if one camera is better than the next.

good Luck

6. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I have owned both Nikon and Canon film cameras and it was a toss-up. Both were exceptionally good, and I doubt that that has changed with the advent of digital.

Dale

7. iTiki macrumors 6502

Both are good cameras. Go with what feels best in your hands.

8. hansolo669 macrumors regular

honestly if your considering the t3 i would also add a high end compact from either canon or Panasonic (Nikon compacts are strange)

however i would remove the d3000 from that list, cheep yes but it really doesnt hold its own against the d3100/xsi.

it seems you like canon, unless you need video go get the xsi kit, however if you do want video then see if you can get the funds for a t3i/t2i kit (not much more plus far better video)

now if your considering the Nikon range more (again with video as a consideration) i would look at the new d5100.

however if you really want to go "cost effective"(and intend to take photography seriously as a hobby or w/e) i highly suggest you visit the used section at adorama (http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=category&cat1=Used#Canon%20Digital) they have a great selection of both canon and Nikon gear, as a bonus their pricing is quite fair/reasonable (having bought all my dslr gear from them)

9. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Canon T3 or Nikon D90

I added D90 because you are on a budget and the choices of lenses are greater, Shoot you can even look at a D80.

go to adorama.com or bhphoto.com keh.com
    used or new section to find a good deal.