Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Please note: Apple created a more robust thermal specification for the Mac Pro FB-DIMM heat sinks that provide more efficient cooling than many other FB-DIMMs. These FB-DIMMs require less airflow to stay cool and allow the internal fans to spin at slower speeds, improving system acoustics. FB-DIMMs made by other manufacturers that do not include a sufficient heat sink may cause the fans to run faster (and louder) or the memory chips to run slower so as not to overheat.

Is this true regarding the FB-DIMMs Apple creates compared to other manufacturers? Has anyone tested the two?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Basically yes. When the machine first came out some FB-DIMMs were shown to not work or reduce performance under load conditions.

Anything certified to work is fine though. Crucial and others have released FB-DIMMs with the required heat sinks which work fine.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Can someone name the certified brands? Are they mutch cheeper than Apples FB-DIMMS?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Depends where you live as to what is available. In the UK the only ones I am aware of are from Crucial. And yes, they are much cheaper than Apple, but they are still much more expensive than "normal" RAM.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
canadaRAM is correct. A good reseller will not sell any RAM that they think will not work right.

A few months ago when I first added RAM to my Mac Pro I went to the Apple Store. At that time any RAM that was garrentied to complie with Apple spec was as expencive for more then Apple. A few weeks ago I realized that I coould use some more RAM. Now rules to quilify RAM to Apple spec's was revised. Making it easier for a company to make RAM that will work well in the Mac Pro. The first Apple specification was not very specific.

I went to OWC and bought 2GB of RAM. I got the exact RAM modules used by Apple and heat sinks that complied with Apple.(and they looked quite similar) I decided to go for this when I noticed

A) Lifetime warrenty on the RAM

B) 14 day return if your not happy with the RAM

So I was able to plug the RAM in and monitor the temp of the RAM bay and know that if I did not like the heat increase I could send the RAM back for a full refund.

I only had a 10 degree increase on temp that I can atest to just having 2 more sticks in the computer.....:D

EDIT: btw I only spent $370 on the RAM....

TheFuzz

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2006
LA
i got 4 of these and they have been working great. they run a little warmer than the 4x512mb apple sticks i got with the computer but no problems.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
So I was able to plug the RAM in and monitor the temp of the RAM bay and know that if I did not like the heat increase I could send the RAM back for a full refund.

How could you monitor the temp of the RAM bay? And whats the highest level it must not reach?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.