Comparing hardware requirements - Revit

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by gldelx, Sep 25, 2012.

1. gldelx macrumors member

I am looking into if I can run Autodesk Revit thru a windows Bootcamp install on my Macbook Air but since Autodesk gives all their required specs in typical windows pc processors, not sure if they translate 1:1 and would appreciate any opinions on if it's possible.
    I don't know yet if Revit would be 32-bit or 64-bit, but expect 64-bit... biggest issue I see everything that is non-XP lists stronger processors. Is this something the i7 processor can deal with, or would it be too much for it?

I have:
    2011 MBA
    1.8GHz i7
    4GB 1333 DDDR (I believe can be upgraded to 8GB)

Autodesks specs:

For 64-Bit Autodesk Revit 2012 Products

For Windows 7 64-bit or Windows Vista 64-bit: Intel® Core™ i5-2300 quad-core processor (2.8 GHz, 6 MB cache) or equivalent AMD® processor.
    For Windows XP Professional x64: Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon dual core, 1.6 GHz (or higher) with SSE2 technology
    8 GB RAM
    5 GB free disk space
    1,680 x 1,050 monitor with true color
    Display adapter capable of 24-bit color for basic graphics; 256 MB DirectX 10-capable graphics card with Shader Model 3 for advanced graphics

One page on their site listed this alternate processor info for the 64-bit install, which does not give a minimum quad core requirement:
    Multi-Core Intel Xeon, or i-Series processor or AMD equivalent with SSE2 technology. Highest affordable CPU speed rating recommended.
    Revit products will use multiple cores for many tasks, using up to 16 cores for near-photorealistic rendering operations.​

For 32-Bit Autodesk Revit 2012 Products

For Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit or Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit: Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon™ dual core processor, 3.0 GHz (or higher) with SSE2 technology
    For Microsoft Windows XP: Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon dual core, 1.6 GHz (or higher) with SSE2 technology
    4 GB RAM
    5 GB free disk space
    1,280 x 1,024 monitor with true color
    Display adapter capable of 24-bit color for basic graphics, 256 MB DirectX® 10-capable graphics card with Shader Model 3 for advanced graphics

2. JeepGuy macrumors regular

Revit is a memory hungry program, that being said it really depends on how large your models are, and how many xref are attached to your models eg. structural steel, mechanical etc. Personally I would give up the idea of running it on an air unless you are just trying to learn how to use it. What autocad tells you is the minimum, but they recommend a quad 3ghz or higher with as much ram as you can put in your computer, with a 2gb graphics card with dual monitors.

3. gldelx thread starter macrumors member

that was my thought too. I would need it for production, so possibly not hugely complicated models, and rarely would need to create photo realistic renderings, but would need it to run smoothly.
    I am looking at a telecommute job and would be nice to be able to have Revit installed on my MBA instead of having a desktop PC issued - both for the ease of portability for when I do go into the office and not having to bring home a non-portable machine that takes up room.
    I've not paid that much attention to the RAM & processor on the work computers I've used before, but do know some definitely deal with Revit better than others.