Comparing iTunes libraries?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Heraldic55, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Heraldic55 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

New Mac user - I posted this earlier today in another thread, but I think it got buried as a response.

When I got my MacBook Pro last week, I tried transferring all of my MP3s from my old Dell over using a standard ethernet connection. I *thought* it worked like a charm. However, when I went to import those files into the iTunes library, and iTunes decided to rearrange everything, it looks like some songs (maybe 300 or so) went missing. I can't tell if they never transferred, or just got lost in the shuffle once iTunes started moving files around. Anyway, I was hoping someone could point me to a script or a program to compare the iTunes library on my old PC to the new one on my MBP, just so I know what I have to bring over.

Thanks!

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Were they Windows Media files (wma)? They aren't compatible with iTunes for Mac.

3. Heraldic55 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, they were all either MP3 or M4A files that had been purchased from the iTunes store. Oddly, it also seemed like it was parts of albums that went missing. For example, the Postal Service album, which I bought from iTunes and listen to frequently, only had 1/3 of the tracks in the new iTumes library.

4. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Your sure the computer is authorized and everything?

At this point it might be easier to try the move again. I've had success copying the entire iTunes folder from My Music on Windows to Music on the Mac.

5. Heraldic55 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I might try doing that. I'm going to have to move some things around on the PC for it to work smoothly, but I should have done that from the beginning.

If I wind up doing that, how should I tell iTunes to remake the library? Just delete the library XML file in the iTunes folder and have iTunes re-import everything? Or is there a faster way.

Thank you so much for your advice.

6. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

If both iTunes installations are up-to-date, you can actually use the library.xml from your Windows machine on your Mac. Just copy the whole iTunes folder over, open up iTunes, and all your media should be there. At least last time I tried that was my experience.