comparing laptop performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bs0604, Apr 15, 2015.

1. bs0604 macrumors newbie

Is there a site where I can plug in the particulars of my current laptop (2009 17" macbook pro) to compare it to current new macbook airs and macbook pros? I would like to compare my current computer on which I run photoshop to see how much faster, if at all, photoshop would run on a new air and new pro. This might help me decide whether or to upgrade now to a new computer and, if so, which computer to choose.

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

I don't know about performance for Photoshop in particular, but you can have a look at this overview of Mac Geekbench scores. This test focuses on CPU and RAM performance. Look at 64-Bit multi-core scores for the most 'true' maximum performance of each machine.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's very hard to compare.

First, there's the CPU. For this, use Geekbench.

For the hard drive, there's a massive difference between HDD and SSD. So even a lower powered CPU with an SSD can perform better than a higher powered CPU with a HDD.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

It is a core 2 duo in yours

and a 512mb graphics card of particularly poor vintage. Just about everything apple now sells is faster possibly including the Ipad air 2.....

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Geekbench is your friend.

The higher the number, the higher the raw processing power is. Raw processing power affects things like filters, effects, rendering (basically anything that relies almost entirely on the processor).