Comparing Lemons and Apples/new mac pro vs. old

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jklara, Mar 14, 2009.

1. jklara macrumors newbie

Hi- Bought a 2008 mac pro this January. It turned out to be a lemon- they have replaced everything in it and still having issues. At this point the techs are recommending I replace it with a new one. I have 2x 2.8GHZ processors now. Came with only 2GB of memory but I upgraded and added another 4 GB- matching, apple approved, bought just last week from transint'l. Thought more memory might solve some of the issues (didn't). Also have Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB. They are telling me that they have to replace it with an equivalent model, regardless of the price increase. If they replace with new model, what are the equivalent processors on the new model? Will I be able to use the same memory sticks or are they wasted? What is the equivalent video card? :confused:

2. grue macrumors 65816

Tell them that the equivalent model needs to be able to use an equivalent amount of RAM, and that you expect an 8core because of this.

3. Ploki macrumors 68000

they are wasted.
    8800 is just between gt120 and ati 4870.
    id say 2x2.26 octo with 6gigs of RAM and 4870

4. jklara thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks mate

Hello down under, any idea what processor might meet the specs :D & what about the video card -- there are a lot to choose from in the new mac pro ? Sorry to hear I am going to lose my memory I just bought. Crykie (sp?)

5. jklara thread starter macrumors newbie

6. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

My guess is that Apple will deem the 2.26 8-core the "equivalent model" which comes with 6G of RAM and the GeForce 120 GT graphics card. Based on our early multi-core benchmarks, it's faster than the 2.8 8-core.

The GeForce 120 GT is slower than the GeForce 8800 GT but the Radeon HD 4870 is faster. I would ask them to give you one with the 4870 and offer to pay the extra $200 arguing that the GeForce 120 GT is not "equivalent."

7. jklara thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks barefeats

appreciate the feedback. I don't know what they are going to do. I have wasted a lot of time and money trying to get the mac pro I have to work. Apple care is making it sound like I won't have any problems getting a new one with my support history. With this info, I feel confident now and ready to do battle. ;) Wish me luck!

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Hopefully the equivalent (in this case pricing) isnt the higher end Quad 2.93GHz 4 core model. If so, I would argue them to the DEATH to get a 2.26GHz or even offer to pay the difference.