Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
When Apple discontinued the Apple cinema displays a few years back, they had suggest LG displays.
- What were those LG models that had such specs to be suggested by Apple?
- Are there reviews that compare those LG displays, with the latest display Apple Studio Display?

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
The two models (21.5" and 23.7" respectively) of the LG UltraFine 4K and the two models of the 27" LG UltraFine 5K.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Can u post specific links of those displays to be certain of which ones they are?

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
When Apple discontinued the Apple cinema displays a few years back, they had suggest LG displays.
- Are there reviews that compare those LG displays, with the latest display Apple Studio Display?

The LG 5k and Studio Display use nearly identical panels and in reviews (both users and reviewers) they are nearly indistinguishable. The Studio Display essentially is the same monitor with a new case, better speakers, different webcam, and far higher price tag when adding height adjustment (which came on the LG).

Reactions: zoran

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
The LG 5k and Studio Display use nearly identical panels and in reviews (both users and reviewers) they are nearly indistinguishable. The Studio Display essentially is the same monitor with a new case, better speakers, different webcam, and far higher price tag when adding height adjustment (which came on the LG).
The ASD is brighter than the LG 5K. Not only is it listed as a 100 nits brighter but it's also been tested at 686 nits peak brightness by the Tech Chap on YouTube. It also offers a nano-texture option (if desired) which the LG does not.

Personally I would recommend the ASD over the LG as you will receive superior support from Apple (and easier if you have an Apple store local), the casing of the display is much nicer both physically and visually, and of course the display itself is brighter. The LG has a free height adjuster versus the $400 premium on the ASD. One could also use a Vesa mount or get a stand to place the display on top if desired.

I feel the speakers are a moot point honestly. Despite Apple's claims and what some reviewers have written, they are far inferior than a cheap pair of 2.1 speakers. The webcam is a letdown but I do believe Apple will improve this in a software update.

Whether these differences are worth the higher price tag is an individual question.

Reactions: haruhiko

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
The webcam is a letdown but I do believe Apple will improve this in a software update.

Whether these differences are worth the higher price tag is an individual question.
Why is the webcam a letdown?

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
does anyone have the LG specs for their webcam and speakers in the new 5K model? (UGH, why does LG list the specs as 'yes'. we need real specs not empty affirmations)

davvid97

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2015
does anyone have the LG specs for their webcam and speakers in the new 5K model? (UGH, why does LG list the specs as 'yes'. we need real specs not empty affirmations)
1080p, check out Apple Studio Display reviews, they compare it side by side with 5K ultra fine, they also compare the webcams

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
What do u think was the reason for this issue? Clearly a Software thing?
It could be software. Most likely it is the processing the software is doing. I have two concerns about that though. I have not seen someone using Windows saying that the camera appears better (because I *think* Windows should just be getting a raw feed from the camera). Also, if it was software, how was it not fixed before shipping? Gurman has postulated that this display has been in development for a few years, so how on earth does something this bad that is fixable in software not get caught in that development time?

I am relatively confident Apple will put out an update that improves the camera. I am not so confident that we will get an update that makes the camera good enough to replace an external camera for those that care about good picture quality (zoom calls vs podcaster). Either way, if I were considering the ASD, this would be a showstopper until I see the fix, which frankly should have already been out by now.

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
Watch this in it’s entirety and then you’ll know why the Studio Display is worth the cost over the LG.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.