Comparing Macbook Pro's....speed.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbrown, Dec 4, 2010.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Hi all,

I have a MBP 2.8 Core 2 Duo.

I am wondering just how much faster a MBP 2.66 i7 would be / feel.

I use photoshop / graphics packages & Vectorworks.

cheers all

:)

2. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

3. Xil3 macrumors regular

i have the exact machine as you, and was thinking the same thing, but it's probably better to wait.

Sandy Bridge should be out in a couple of months...

4. stevemiller macrumors 65816

i've been asking around the same question. i also have a 2.8ghz mbp from late '08, and its been getting progressively more frustrating trying to use it for photoshop/after effects work.

i feel like summer '11 will be when i'm looking at replacing it, but i worry that even a new system won't really make that much of a difference for my type of work. i'm running out of memory *all* the time, and i've already maxed it out at 6gb, so even 8gb may not help that much.

i really don't want to go back to a desktop again, though :(

(i use some beefy mac pros at work to do the time consuming final renders, but i'd still like to be able to do most of the preparatory work on my laptop)

5. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Yep. Photoshop is doable but After Effects will pretty much bring any MBP to its knees.

At least you have access to Mac Pros. Personally, I can't justify the bloated cost so I'm stuck in PC land for video work.

6. RT2020 macrumors regular

I have a 2.53 Ghz C2D:

I use Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign (CS5), AutoCAD, and various 3D modelling programs... I'm very happy with speed and reliability of my MacBook Pro.

I just cant justify spending thousands to get a little speed boost...your machine cant even be 2 years old? :confused:

If I were you, I would consider a PC Desktop.