Comparing missing/damaged/reorganized files and folders

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macstatic, Apr 14, 2013.

1. macstatic macrumors 6502a

I decided to reorganize the structure and names of my photo folders on an external hard drive and used Adobe Bridge for that which crashed in the midst of the operation and now I wonder if some files/folders have gone missing or are damaged.
    I do have a backup drive, but there is a small possibility that I've made changes and/or added files to the original hard drive without having backed it up again so if that's the case I'm afraid of overwriting the original folders with older backups.

So instead of manually going through every single folder/sub-folder and checking each file, is there a utility which can:

1) check if the original/backup folders contain the same amount of files
    2) check if the original folders' files are undamaged (mostly photo and video files)
    3) check if the original folders contain any newly created or newly reorganized (moved) files (I guess that's the same as #1 though).

I've used Chronosync to back up my drives -perhaps there's something there I can use to check the above? My Mac runs OSX 10.6.8.

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Chronosync can do complicated synchronising between sets of folders, incorporating the most recent changes, adding missing versions. If you have it, then that's the best tool for the job. You can of course do trial runs to see what gets synced before doing it for real.
    It won't check for corruption, though, so you might have to use another tool for that first.

The longer you go between backups, the more data you can expect to lose. Time Machine's one hour interval is pretty painless.