Comparing New MacPro's

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vogelhausdesign, Mar 3, 2009.

1. vogelhausdesign macrumors regular

vogelhausdesign

Hey guys, I'm in a serious bind right now. I have a few questions for the good people of this forum.

I'm wanting to know if selling my 8-Core 3.2 machine with 8gb ram, 1TB HD
    8800 GT is worth it , to buy a 2.66 New mac pro.. Speed wise is it going to be that much faster? I could sell my computer now and buy a new mac pro for like 300 more..

This is for work , graphic design/3D Motion.

1) is it worth it to trade up for the speed?
    2) How much can I expect for a nearly brand new 3.2 with lots of upgrades?

Thanks so much!

2. robinp macrumors 6502

it seems like it isn't really worth it to be honest, but wait for benchmarks in a few days

3. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Speed wise, you will see an increase but not huge. Depends if you can also fork out for the 4870 card.

Personally, I wouldn't bother and wait for the next round.

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Ditto.

I'm running a quad (dual-dual) 2.66GHz Woodcrest, and I'm not compelled to upgrade, either, especially at current prices.

5. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Are you talking about the Quad 2.66 or the Octo 2.66?

The Quad 2.66 is a bit faster than the old Octo 2.8, but it wont beat the old Octo 3.2. The new Octo 2.66 will beat the old Octo 3.2, but it's only up to you whether its worth it.

6. vogelhausdesign thread starter macrumors regular

vogelhausdesign

I'm talking about the NEW 2x 8core 2.66 Mac Pro Vs. My 8-Core 3.2 xeon Harpertown, will I see an decent increase in speed?

7. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Nope.

But there will be a increase, just nothing earth shattering.

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Seconded. Wait for the benchmarks anyway.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

An increase, yes, I think, but nothing extraordinary, and it would be primarily in memory intensive tasks. I doubt it would be worth that much extra $$$. :(

The only other possibility that you may benefit from, would be the HD 4870.

But as others have suggested, at least wait until benchmarks are available.

10. vogelhausdesign thread starter macrumors regular

vogelhausdesign

Man.. what was all the Hype for then?? I thought this 2.66 octo Nahlem was going to be twice as fast as my dual-3.2 system..

11. robinp macrumors 6502

just to be clear, the new 8-core mac pro only has a total of 8-cores, same as your 8-core 3.2. The 2.6 is probably a bit faster than your 3.2 but I doubt the benefit is that great to warrant the hassle involved... but you are in a decent position - you can wait for the benchmarks to find out for sure.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

I was refering to the base model '09 MP @ 2.26GHz. It would likely be an equivalent machine in terms of performance to the 2.8 GHz '08 model. So the price/performance ratio doesn't work out well at all. Effectively the same machine, for another $500USD.

The 2.66 and 3.2GHz parts are another story, but they're too expensive IMO. Remember, I and others, seriously thought the base would use the 2.66GHz & 1333MHz ECC parts, and only have a $200USD price increase. Had that been the case, then it would have been a steal per se.

DP 2.66GHz with an HD 4870 for $4900? Harder to justify for that kind of $$$.

13. MacFan27 macrumors newbie

I was into PC gaming for about 5 years and I cant tell you how many times the "next big thing" came out at "double the power" and then 6 months later people realized it really wasn't that much faster than what they had...The Mac Pro refresh is great, but if you have a DUAL 3.2 XEON Mac Pro I doubt it's worth the trade...but then again that depends on what you want and how much you get for the one you have no selling. All I'm saying is don't get toooo into the hype.

In all my years the only TRUE LARGE jump was the Radeon 9700 PRO graphics card...that was the only real serious jump in tech I ever saw.

14. Ploki macrumors 68000

woot?
    it has a bigger memory throughput, but its still 4 versus 8 cores. if software doesnt support it yet doesnt mean its better
    + the 8gb ram limit? come on? same as MBP ?